News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: 2 cm, hard, smooth, immobile, painless nodule on rib

ohconfusion - Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:44 pm

Hi,
I feel silly posting this in the cancer section, but I don't really know which system category my symptoms fall under! I will try to keep it brief. 2 months ago I noticed the above described lump, in my left breast crease...it feels like it's attached to a rib. It's about 2 inches away from the rib/sternum junction. I decided to just keep an eye on it until my annual physical which was last week....it had grown a little in the meantime. The skin is not discolored, it's completely painless, I do have a little discharge from my left nipple (clear and milky) and it doesn't seem sinister. My breasts have always been lumpy and painful, so it really takes something for me to notice any kind of change....I admit that I do not perform BSE's, because of all of the lumps, so I don't know how long this nodule has been there. My PCP has no idea what it could be, so she sent me for a rib series right away. Had the xrays, placed the little sticker where the lump is, and the results said that there was nothing of bony origin going on and to procede with an ultrasound if desired. So my doctor set me up for an ultrasound of the lump. Had it today, the radiologist came in and looked at the screen for awhile, and said that it looked like a bone spur. Weird, because I've never had any trauma to this area or any pain surrounding it, but you never know. Something just doesn't fit....wouldn't it have showed up on the xray then? She said she would just advise my doctor to keep an eye on it. I looked at the screen when the tech went to get the radiologist, I just saw a small dark circle. I'm an RN, but not knowledgabse about imaging studies, or lumps and bumps. I guess my question is....have you seen this before? I'm thinking I would just like to have it excised and biopsied so I don't have to worry about it anymore...however, I'm such a wuss when it comes to being assertive with my own health. If you were the M.D. in this case, how would you procede? Sorry this is so long. Thanks so much.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:35 am

User avatar Hello,My answer may have a bias of a dermatologist but what comes to my mind first would be to rule out cystecercosis caused by Tinea soleum.These are commonly found in the subcutis,and areas like ribs,tounge and neck.It could be solitary too.Do get a stool test for identification.Eosinophilia may be present in the blood.Sudden rupture while surgically removing could cause anaphlaxis.Best to avoid a needle aspiration if there is a suspicion.Immunodiagnostic test would be ideal.Treatment if confirmed is with mebendazole.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here