Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: lump slightly above anus

jake solheim - Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:41 pm

Two weeks ago, a very sore lump appeared very quickly just above my anus, accompanied by extreme pain making sitting, standing, walking, or sleeping unbearable. The doctor diagnosed it as an external haemmorhoid because there was no sore or pus but just my normal skin covering the lump, and prescribed Scheriproct ointment to cure it. The pain persisted, the lump grew and i kept consulting doctors at my local clinic, all repeating that I need to be patient and keep using the cream, even though I voiced my concerns that I didnt think the ointment was resolving the problem, and that I thought it was an abscess of some sort. During this period i felt slighly feverish very briefly on one day.

Ultimately, last night, in agony, I saw an after hours doctor at my local hospital, who examined it and found that the skin was very tender , and that the lump most probably was pussed, diagnosed it as an abscess and prescribed a course of the antibiotic Augmentin 625mg tablets. Today my doctor examined it and told me the lump is probably an infection, asked me to continue the antibiotics and stop the piles ointment.

He has asked me to see him tomorow afternoon and says if it persists he will need to send me immediately to the local hospital. Meanwhile, the pain appears to have receded as the antibiotics are kicking in, tho I still feel some lump. I am also taking paracetamols and diclofenac 50mg a tablet once every 8 hours .

I need your advice as to what this can be and the likely outcome. This problem has happened before and dissappeared after a course of the same antibiotic . Your replies will be appreciated.
 jake solheim - Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:29 pm

in continuation of the above, i have just seen my doctor again today. I explained that the pain had decreased and he examined the lingering lump that is still there. His take is that it is a perianal infection, not abscess and will recede solely with the continued use of antibiotics over the next few days without the need to be drained.

In case a medical expert is reading this, my question is, is that so? Everywhere i read it says an abscess needs to be drained and that antibiotics by themselves cannot remove the lump. I am taking the antibiotics i mentioned above but there is still some pain though not as acute as before and i can sit and move around and sleep more comfortably. I can still feel the lump .

I just need your opinion on this matter as this whole episode is both distressing and confusing. Thanks in advance for any forthcoming replies.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:26 am

It appears that you probably had a peri-anal abscess which had spontaeneously ruptured and evacuated itself.
If it has drained completely and the opening is adequate for continuing drainage, then it is likely to heal with antibiotic therapy.
On the other hand, if it had not drained fully or if the opening is inadequate, it may need proper surgical drainage.
Good luck!

|