Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: lymph nodes becoming hard and matted lymph node

buuren - Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:41 am

Hi. i am 20 years of age and i have been very concered about lymphoma. i have been experiencing several symptoms such as chills that come and go, weight loss (around the neck and joints e.g wrist, elbows, knees, ankles) , swollen lymph nodes in neck ,armpit and groin that have been there for years and seem to be getting larger and a persistant sore throut that i have had for about 7 months that wont go away also i have been experiancing lower back pain, I have had many different blood tests and other tests such as a endoscopy and colonoscopy to rule out any other problems but they all came back normal. also i have had a biopsy (lymph node removed) on a lymph node in my neck that also came back negitive but i wasnt convinced on the node that they took out as this wasnt the largest node that i have in my neck and was definetly not the one i was most concered about as i have one that seems to be matted to another one and harder then the one that was taken out. i was wondering if this would matter on diagnosing such a condition? also new lymph nodes keep poping up mostly in the neck that are not painfull.

Thanks for listening and hope to here some feedback soon!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:31 am

From your description, it is probable that you have what is known as generalized lymphadenopathy (The definition of this at times varies between authors and between specialities).

There is an exhaustive list of causes for this condition, and one of them of-course is lymphomas.
You say that "they have been there for years".Therefore one needs to think of causes of chronic generalized lymphadenopathy (there is an acute form as well).

You have not mentioned the approximate size of the lymph nodes.

Nodes that are suspicious of malignancy are generally larger(ie. > 1.5 cms.
Nodes <0.5 cm are usually considered benign), firm,rubbery or hard in consistency.Fixity is also makes them suspicious.Matting is usually seen in tubercular lymphadenitis, but also may be seen in lymphomas(peri-adenitis) and other malignancies.

There is an exhaustive list of causes for generalized lymphadenopathy(such as bacterial or systemic viral infections,malignancies,auto-immune disorders,storage diseases etc).In recent times, HIV is emerging as an important cause.

When a lymph node biopsy is planned, it involves certain considerations such as....
- Site (inguinal lymph nodes are usually avoided)
- clinically suspicious node is chosen and
- easy accessibility.

At times, the most suspicious node may not be easily accessible and trying to excise it would tantamount to a major surgical procedure (in which case, the next best, more easily accessible node may be chosen). For example,in the neck, posterior triangle lymph nodes are technically easier to biopsy compared to the Jugulo-digastric lymph nodes.

Wonder why a person like you, who is as concerned and as well- informed about lymph nodes did not discuss your concerns with your surgeon prior to the biopsy.
 buuren - Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:09 pm

Thank you for your reply Dr.M.Aroon kamath it helps me a lot.

As for the size of the lymph nodes in my neck, the one the was taken out was from the posterior triangle at the side of my neck and was soft, movible and was between 0.5 and 1cm this is why it didnt really concern me, as for the other nodes in my neck i have a much larger one which is located in the Jugulo-digastric under the right side of my jaw line that is about 2cm possibly larger in size and does seem to be matted to another node which is much more suspicious, the texture of this node is hard and slightly movible and gives me great concern.

Recently i have had 2 more lymph nodes popping up in the Supraclavicular area which wasnt there before and are between 0.5 and 1cm at the most and are round and rubbery in texture and believe that they can be more of a concern.

Apart from the lymphadenopathy issue that i have been having i am also losing a lot of muscle mass/tone that is most visable in the face, legs and arms and was wondering if this could be linked to my lymph nodes? My muscles in my legs fatigue even after walking which enables mweto do any activities, i was wondering if muscle atrophy could play a key role in my legs to be so tired all the time?

i was hoping for some good advice to see what my next step might be for example another biopsy on a suspected lymph node? any information back from you Dr.M.Aroon kamath would be much appreciated and helpful.

Sorry before i go i had a C.T scan on my abdoman and that came back all clear thought this may help for further investigations.

Thank for listening Dr.M.Aroon kamath and hope to hear some feedback soon.

Kind regards
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:39 am

User avatar Hello buuren,
Thank you so much for the update.I feel that the supraclavicular lymph node should be ideally biopsied, because,enlargement these nodes are generally quite significant.For your sake,i wish the biopsy returns a 'benign' verdict. Best wishes!
 Dc1983 - Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:20 pm

I heard that one can atrophy if we relaxed too much. Is this true?

|