Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen lumps/nodes in neck and under left clavicle

itsnotmytime - Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:21 pm

I'm a 15 year old boy, and I'm wondering what these could be a sign of.
About 6-7 months ago I found a movable lump that rests underneath my left clavicle, and it's very easy to move.

Early this September I found a hard, immobile lump right in the center of my neck, like it's embedded in my neck/thyroid. My mother had a thyroid nodule, and has a history thyroid problems.

I also have gynecomastia and many small lipomas in my chest and arms.

I live a very active lifestyle. I don't seem to have any other symptoms of cancer, like fatigue or night sweats. I do sometimes feel tired throughout the day, which I believe is just the product of trying to live off of 6 hours of sleep a night + boring days at school. I'm much more awake on the weekends...
I do plan to see a Dr. in the near future, I'm just wondering what any of you might think this could be.
Thanks for your time.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:22 pm

The lump that you felt below the clavicle could well be another lipoma(like the other ones you have already).But, the fact that you are not mentioning this as yet another lipoma indicates that you feel something odd about this lump.

'Infra-clavicular' lymph nodes are situated below the clavicle in the delto-pectoral groove in the course of the cephalic vein.They are not usually palpable.Enlargement of these nodes is rather unusual and is always viewed with suspicion('significant' lymphadenopathy).

These nodes may be enlarged in some cases of breast cancer as well as lymphomas(more frequently in non-hodgkin's lymphoma).
Non-hodgkin's lymphoma can involve the thyroid gland as well.

I suggest that you should consult your doctor who would first determine if the lump is a lipoma or a lymph node.If it is indeed a lymph node, in all liklihood, your doctor would recommed an FNAC(fine needle aspiration cytology) of that lymph node.
 holyjohosaphat - Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:55 am

hi. im 21 and i am really worried and i was hoping you could help me. about a month and a half from today i had either tonsilitis or mono, im not sure which of the two it was i just knew it was not strep. i was on antibiotics for a week and after two weeks my tonsil infection had cleared up completely. i have always had slightly large tonsil pits but ever since the infection has cleared up they have been slightly bigger. on the beggining of infection my left deep superior cervical lymph node has been swollen. it feels like just one lymph node i am not sure how to measure in diameter but its not swollen to the point its visibly noticeable but when i touch my neck in that spot i can definitely feel it. the infection has been cleared for a month now and it is still swollen no more and no less by each day. i wouldnt say it feels hard but i don't think it feels tender either. also there is no pain when i touch and no discomfort when im not touching it. unfortunately i cannot afford a doctors visit right now so please give me some helpful adivice as to what may be causing me this. thank you very much.

|