Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: flesh colored soft bump near anus

Kimc - Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:19 pm

Hello, I am a 42 year old woman, and I have a question about this bump I have near my anus. It is not in the anus...it's on the wrinkle part of the anus skin where the glands are. Anyway, I have had this soft flesh colored bump for over a year now, and I have no idea what it is. It doesn't cause me any discomfort at all. When I push on it...it's very soft and I feel just mild discomfort, but otherwise I don't even know it's there. Any idea what it could be?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:53 am

From your description,it appears that it could be a peri-anal skin tag, usually associated with chronic anal fissures.This is also known as the "sentinel pile".

This is usually situated either in front (anterior) or more commonly in the posterior position(at the back of the anal opening).In either case, it will be situated in the midline.The anterior variety is usually associated with pregnancy- associated fissures.

Believed to be as a result of chronic inflammation and associated lymphatic block(localized).

If the swelling is not in the midline, then one has to think of other differential diagnoses (such as a hemangima, a pyogenic granuloma, a wart etc).Best wishes!.
 Kimc - Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:58 pm

Thank you very much for responding to my post Doctor.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:29 am

My pleasure.Thanks all the same.Best of luck!
 Kimc - Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:17 pm

I noticed lately that this bump is kind of squishy almost as if it has liquid inside it, because it is soft and squishy and if I push on it...it kinda moves...again, there is no pain what so ever...and I can't even tell it's there...only when I see it. I am not sure what you mean by midline, but it's more on the bottom left side about a 1/2 inch or so away from the anal opening. Since this bump doesn't cause me any pain....will it eventually go away...or does it just stay...I have had it for a year that I know of...I think it might have got a little bit bigger too.

Thanks for your help!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:04 am

User avatar Hi kimc,
Thank you for updating. The swelling could still be a peri-anal skin tag which has become edematous or it could be a peri-anal hematoma which has become lax.

Show it to your doctor who will be able to sort it out.
 Kimc - Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:44 pm

Well I went to the doctors today, and the doctor said everything looked normal and it was just a part of me....like tissue or something like that. She said it was nothing to worry about..everything looked normal. I am so glad I had it checked out, now I have peace of mind..thank you for your help!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:12 am

Thanks for letting us know that you are doing well. It is my pleasure to play a part (albeit, small) in your recovery. Good luck!

|