News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: What are possible causes for swollen tender lymph nodes?

lilkay - Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:14 am

I have several lymph nodes that are swollen and tender. In 2005 my Dr had one of the two that were big at the time biopsied and said that it was nothing. Since then a couple others have become swollen as well. The one that has been since about 2003 is now hard and doesn't move around the same way that it used to. They have all gotten pretty tender in the last couple weeks. Over the last couple years I have had flu like symptoms more frequently than I ever remember. What could be causing this? Could the flu symptoms be related to the lymph nodes?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:02 pm

User avatar Hi,
There is an exhaustive list of causes of painful, tender lymph nodes.

Acute lymphadenitis results from infections in the 'drainage area' of the lymph nodes.

To make it simple,the most common causes of lymphadenitis are bacterial infections caused by streptococci and staphylococci.

Other infections that may be involved include , cat scratch disease, lymphogranuloma venerum, tularemia,chancroid, tubercuosis etc.

There are other causes as well...such as parasitic diseases(filariasis), viral diseases [Herpes simplex virus (HSV), HIV], granulomatous diseases(sarcoidosis) as well as malignancies(including lymphomas).

Upper respiratory tract infections may also be associated with cervical lymphadenitis as well as any infections in the oral cavity.

Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here