Forum Name: Ovarian Cancer

Question: Cyst in right ovaries

manmeet - Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:28 am

I have been diagnosed with a cyst in my right ovaries.My ultrasound report says as follows: " Rt. adenexa shows a thick walled, irregular cyst of size 89mm X 98mmX118mm with volume of 543.70 cc. There are medium to low level internal echoes seen within this cyst. Two other cysts of size 35mm and 23mm seen adjoining to the larger one. Rt. ovary is not localized separately. Lt. ovary is normal in size and echopattern."

This cyst was diagnosed when I went for my check up to gynae after 3 months pregnancy. The baby is growing normal. And my doctor tells me since its in ovaries, it wont affect the baby's growth. And I have been advised to carry on with my pregnancy and have been told that at the time of delivery they would operate on this cyst and take it out and for this they will also have to take out my right ovaries. I now want to know what are the risks involved in this? Can this cyst rupture or burst in this long duration? Will taking out my right ovaries affect my chances of conceiving again? I have never experienced any pain due to this cyst till date.How are these cysts formed? What can be the possible cause? Is it right for me to continue with my pregnancy with this cyst. As this cyst was diagnosed quite late, reason being that I was taken for my check up only after 3 months pregnancy.Please advise.
Also do I need to take any special precautions in this type of pregnancy.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:36 am

This is a fairly common condition and before ultrasound examinations women were completely unaware of it unless it ruptured and caused pain. Sometimes a little knowledge is a scary thing! While the doctor will likely follow you closely to see any changes, you should not have to do anything differently in the pregnancy.

Your doctor is correct that the ovaries and cysts on them do not usually affect the baby in your uterus, though pain could be a problem. If there is a rupture, infection is not usually a problem either. I'm glad you are not having pain with this. Enjoy your pregnancy and take good care of yourself generally. Nobody knows why these cysts occur - just one of those things. It would have made no difference to have an earlier diagnosis with earlier prenatal care so don't stress over this. Monitoring is about all that can be done and usually it is enough.

Once the ovary is removed, you have a slightly reduced chance of achieving pregnancy only because typically one ovary releases an egg one month and the other the next. But, it only takes one egg, one month to conceive. In the case of fraternal twins, two eggs are released so you see that sometimes you still ovulate even more than this. Most women with just one ovary are able to have the family they desire in absence of other problems.

Good luck with your pregnancy.

|