News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: tamoxifen side effects

meeko - Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:21 pm

I will start taking Tamoxifen next week,I had a lump removed from my left breast that came back as abnormal cells but not cancer. My doctor states that I should take this for 5 years. My question is one of the side effects is hair loss, does mean I will loose all my hair or will it just thin? If so how much will I loose?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon May 24, 2010 6:40 am

User avatar Dear Meeko,
I apologize for the delayed reply. Tamoxifen is associated with hair thinning although this is not a common side effect. The face that you are taking tamoxifen for prevention (prophylaxis) will make you more conscious of the benefits versus the drawbacks and rightly so. Not all women experience this rare side effect though. Hopefully, you will be one of them. Tamoxifen is a wonderful drug both for the treatment and prevention of breast cancer but it's important to learn as much as possible about tamoxifen and to follow up with your doctor as soon as you are worried about any new symptoms.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here