News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: Just got some numbers today - unsure of significance

bbrown45822 - Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:54 pm

Glucose 93; BUN 15; Creatinine 1.0; Sodium 143; Calcium 9.2; Potassium 3.9
Chloride 106; CO2 30; SPOT/AST 22
SGPT/ALT 48
Chol 159; Trig 169; HDL 25; VLDL 34; LDL 100

Question - BUN/Creat Eatio is 15.0 -- what is normal? What's it measure?
My Trigl are usually lower and HDL usually higher -- would antibiotics and cough meds have impacted?
I don't salt food, but do eat out a lot -- I travel 36 weeks per year. Is there an "easy" way to bring Sodium down?
 Quinn - Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:29 am

The BUN test is a somewhat routine test used primarily to evaluate renal (kidney) function. The test is often performed on patients with many different diseases.
Normal Values are 7 to 20 mg/dl.
BUN levels increase with age and also with the amount of protein in your diet. High-protein diets may cause abnormally high BUN levels. Very low-protein diets can cause abnormally low BUN. Lower BUN levels are also seen in infants and small children.

Drugs that impair kidney function may increase BUN levels. Your BUN and creatinine may be monitored if you are on certain drugs.
Your trigl.and HDL have some connection with your life-style and as I can see,travelling can be stressfull and that can raise the values.
You should also avoid mineral water if you have higher sodium level because there are all sorts of minerals in it.
Sometimes antibiotics,if they are frequently used,can damagge kidney function.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here