Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Mucus instead of stool, constipation

Redrockjk - Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:42 am

Hello, hopefully someone can give me some insight into my problem.

It started with what I thought was IBS. I would eat, immediatly have to go to the restroom. For a while Immodium helped with this issue.

About 3 weeks ago basiclly my system shut down. Severe constipation. Had two incidents where I thought I was fine and soiled clothing. After reading I suppose this is due to waste making its way around the blockage.

I tried milk of magnesia which gave me the runs so bad I was confined to the toilet for a day.

I would have the urge to go to the bathroom about every 15 minutes but would push and nothing would come out except maybe some little specks of fecal.

Also during these times when I thought I would have to go my stomach would get very warm. Water intake is easily over 10 glasses per day. I have cut out soda and alcohol since this started. A hot bath sometimes would cause a small bowel movement.

Finally I went to see my care provider. He gave me Miralax which after the second dose gave me four large bowel movements, which I was grateful for.

Immediatly after those bowel movements my stomach began to cramp pretty bad, figured it was just from the waste moving through.

Issue is after using Miralax and having the bowel movements I now have the urge to go but most of the time a clear mucus comes out in small amounts. This happens approx 20 times per day.

During this whole time there has been a little blood but seems to be only when I am pushing very hard to attempt to have a bowel movement. I am now not pushing as much and hoping the miralax assists in clearing my bowels.

I am waiting for a referal to see another doc for a "GI".

Just curious as to what the mucus can be. The bowels I have passed have not been watery but not what you would consider a normal bowel. More like it is in chuncks about the size of marbles.

Any help you can give would be great.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:12 pm

All your symptoms could be related to the laxatives. However, one needs exclude other conditions.

Passage of excessice amounts of mucus suggest causes such as (among others)...
- Celiac disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohn's disease
- Diverticulitis &
- villous tumors of rectum.
In some parts of the world, one may need to think of intestinal parasitic diseases as an important differential diagnoses.

Your overall description of symptoms tend to favour diverticular disease- 'diverticulosis coli' (the fact that you pass little blood & somewhat 'pellet-like' stools).

Considering your age, one needs to consider colo-rectal neoplasia as well in the differential.

You must consult your regular doctor first, who, after performing the priliminary examination will perhaps arrange for you to have a colonoscopy done.

|