News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Pancreatic Cancer

Question: Pancreas tumor will cause knee pain

jandj - Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:43 pm

i have a 6cm tumor in the head of my pancreas. i have refused surgery which is the only option. Lately my left knee is giving me alot of pain. I am 79 years young and have not done anything new. Is it related to pancreas?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:49 pm

User avatar Hi,
At the time of diagnosis of pancreatic cancer , about 50% of all patients have distant disease and about 25% have regional spread (The usual sites of metastases in pancreatic cancer are the liver and peritoneal cavity). Skeletal metastases represent an underappreciated sites of metastasis in this condition.

The true incidence of skeletal metastases in patients with pancreatic cancer is not known, it could well be 5 - 20 %. Micrometastases associated with pancreatic adenocarcinoma have been found in the bone marrows of some of these patients. It is unclear if they represent pre-clinical bone metastases.

With the use of newer therapies,there has been a modest increase in survival in patients with advanced pancreatic cancer. Thus, it may be anticipated that previously uncommon occurrences such as skeletal metastases will be seen more frequently.

Pathological fractures, bone pain, and hypercalcemia are possible sequelae of skeletal metastases.

Your knee pain could be due to a benign process such as osteo-arthritis, but secondaries need to be ruled out.

Therefore,i suggest that you should consult your doctor and get investigated to exclude this possibility as neglecting this may affect you very adversely.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here