Forum Name: Pancreatic Cancer

Question: Pancreas tumor will cause knee pain

jandj - Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:43 pm

i have a 6cm tumor in the head of my pancreas. i have refused surgery which is the only option. Lately my left knee is giving me alot of pain. I am 79 years young and have not done anything new. Is it related to pancreas?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:49 pm

At the time of diagnosis of pancreatic cancer , about 50% of all patients have distant disease and about 25% have regional spread (The usual sites of metastases in pancreatic cancer are the liver and peritoneal cavity). Skeletal metastases represent an underappreciated sites of metastasis in this condition.

The true incidence of skeletal metastases in patients with pancreatic cancer is not known, it could well be 5 - 20 %. Micrometastases associated with pancreatic adenocarcinoma have been found in the bone marrows of some of these patients. It is unclear if they represent pre-clinical bone metastases.

With the use of newer therapies,there has been a modest increase in survival in patients with advanced pancreatic cancer. Thus, it may be anticipated that previously uncommon occurrences such as skeletal metastases will be seen more frequently.

Pathological fractures, bone pain, and hypercalcemia are possible sequelae of skeletal metastases.

Your knee pain could be due to a benign process such as osteo-arthritis, but secondaries need to be ruled out.

Therefore,i suggest that you should consult your doctor and get investigated to exclude this possibility as neglecting this may affect you very adversely.

|