Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Protien S Defficiency and my menstrual cycle

agillooley - Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:57 pm

I have Protien S Deficiency and I know that I can not take birth control because the hormonal affects could cause a blood clot. My question is this....My cycle is now 15 days late. Could being late affect my hormones (the ones that cause the blood clots). There is no chance of me being pregnant as I am a virgin.
Thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:09 am

Incidence of venous thrombosis developing in pregnant females in general is 0.5-3/1000 pregnancies.Incidence 5 -10 fold higher after Cesarean section compared to vaginal delivery.The incidence of DVT is about 5 times higher in pregnancy than in age matched non-pregnant females

Incidence of thrombosis developing in pregnant females with Protein S deficiency is approximately - 0-6% antepartum & 7-22% postpartum. 'Progesterone-only' oral contraceptives are at times advocated for women with thrombophilias as they tend to carry a lower risk than estrogen containing compounds.What are the relative levels of estrogen and progesterone in your body during this delayed cycle is hard to predict.

As pregnancy has been ruled out in your case, the risk may be expected to be about the same as for individuals with Protein S deficiency who are not pregnant & not on oral contraceptives.

But, you ought to consult your doctor to find the cause for the delayed menses. Best wishes!

|