Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: swollen lymph node, and weight loss can you help?

melntod - Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:35 pm

:?: I have a swollen lymph node on the left side of my neck, weight loss, fatigue, and sometimes a salty taste. I have been to the doctors who have not helped me at all. I have had a CT scan run it showed the inflamed lymph node, have had a mono test that was negative, The surgeon said if the lymph node does not go away in 2 months he wants to do a biopsy. What can the problem be? I am not a hypochondriac, but that's how the coctors make me feel.
 SarahAnne - Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:11 am

I'm in the same situation as you! I have had one in my neck that I have felt for over two years!!! CT scan showed that I have "numerous enlarged lymph nodes greater than 3cm but they appear to be nonpathologic". My GP was satisified with that. I AM NOT! I have had no blood work and no biopsy. Just like you, I am not a hypochondriac, but something is obviously wrong! I share your frustration! Please let me know if you get any answers!!!
 Michaelii - Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:44 pm

I too have a large node (between 2 cm x 2 cm), up to (3 cm x 3 cm) in my neck.

I am scared to death!!

Have had it nearly 3 or 4 weeks (that I know of).

2 Dr's were not at all helpful.

I don't know what to do either!!
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Tue May 03, 2005 9:07 am

Dear Melntod,

well, lymph nodes in the neck are common...due to any inflammation in the face, in your throat, in your ears,etc.
The question is...is it a significant lymph node or not?! and by significant...i mean... its size (if bigger than 1.5 cm), it's consistency ,mobility, attachment to surrounding tissue and how many lymph nodes are they on the same side or on both sides of your neck...any lymph nodes anywhere else?. It's all a matter of judgment for the doctor who sees you.

If your lymph node is significant....then a biopsy should be done to exclude malignancy (cancer) and to reach a diagnosis and follow the appropriate treatment.

It might be enlarged from a serious infection you had....not mono in particular,then it healed by fibrosis and left the lymph node big....and you discovered it accidentally when it was there all the time.

what concerns me is the weight loss...how much did you lose (in Kgs, please) over what period of time? days/weeks/months?
P.S: did you have a CT scan done on your neck only? and did it just show this lymph node....or there have been other ones?!

Michaelii - Fri May 06, 2005 10:47 pm

I just wanted to wish you the best and ask you to please keep us posted.

- Michael
 hawaiianfornow - Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:25 am

I get these once in awhile. Usually they don't tell me what caused them or why etc.... but the best luck I have ever had with dealing with them and the pain is, I was once perscribed a small and I mean tiny little streoid pill that I had to take for like 10 days I was better the next day. Only thing is that I wouldnt ask for them, I always feel funny asking them for any medicine specifically because then I feel like they think I am an addict or something.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:53 am

Hello!

Having lymph nodes or sore throat that goes away by steroids (although this is a harsh treatment for your condition which you haven't described to us thoroughly) that means that they are inflammatory lymph nodes and not malignant.

And by the way, Steroids are not addictive but using them for a long period without having a proper diagnosis in your condition that mendates using steroids can be dangerous.

applet - Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:12 am

I have no clue what I am doing, responding or asking. Hopefully someone will answer. I am 33 yrs. old, one child. I have had vague symptoms that are progressing mildly. The problem is; is that I have endometriosis and a bulge in my cervical spine between my C5 & C6. Which symptoms do you attribute to each disorder and which are left over?
In July of 2004, I began to lose weight. I lost 50 lbs. in 6 mos. Drs. don't see what the big deal is. I should be happy, I went from a size 18 to an 8.
I had a tonsilectomy in June of this year, the ENT thinking that this would solve the lymph nodes in the neck, the fatigue, and the mild fever. The only thing it solved was my chronic tonsilitis. Everything else is still there.
I have numbness in the left side of my face and left extremeties. Extremeties have been ruled as a possible two things: the bulge or swelling putting pressure on a nerve or since it coincides with my period, that my circulation is comprimised at this time. The numbness in my face is thought due to dental stress. What?
I have had psych. testing (in order to rule out hypochondria, to appease the Docs), I have also been on three different anti-depressants and couseling, with no improvement. They would not do any testing until I completed both of these. When a board certified psych from HFHosp finally told them, "Listen she's not crazy!", then they did the tests.
I was sent for a sleep test, fatigue, hmmmm nothing wrong...Could be mild narc. even though blood test was neg. They put me on a stimulant. Without this, I would find it very hard to make it through the day. No doubt in my mind that this is masking the prob. Memory Loss is thought to be a result of the fatigue.
I have had bloodwork done and been tested for autoimmune disorders, thyroid, tb, hepatitis, AIDS, RA, B-12, Mono (shows past infec. unknown to me, but not active), diabetes, anemia, metabolic screening, prolactin, and other basic blood screens. All Neg. although some are right on the border. My BP is low and positional.
I have had a brain & cervical CT. Found the lymphs and bulge.
I have been diagnosed & treated in the past for chronic dry eye, carpal tunnel, endometriosis, seasonal allergies, migraines, & poss. low level narco. I have alternating constipation/diahrea (rules out thyroid).
I have not been back to the Dr. in a while. I'm done for now. I sick of being made to feel like I'm an idiot who wants attention. No, all I want is for all of it to go away. I used to be a very active person who was always on the go. Without the medication, I could sleep 13 hrs. a day. That Doc said some people just need more sleep than others.

|