Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Need help to find a specialist...please help

henry710 - Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:11 pm

Hi, my mother had a cyst on both sides of her breast, but they have been removed a few years to almost a decade ago. Now under her armpit, she feels tender and pain around that area. She just received a mammogram and sonogram (sorry if the spelling is incorrect) and the report mentioned something about her lymp nodes underneath her armpit. We know this because she asked for a copy of her test report from the clinic where the examination was performed.The specialist that refered her to get these examinations done is NOT explaining what her condition is because the doctor is NOT returning my mother's phone calls and messages. I am extremely worried about my mothers condition, and I was wondering if someone here would know what the correct term for a specialist who mainly deals with this kind of lymph node problem because we do not know what specialist to see for this condition. This pain under her armpit has been going on for about 3 months and now the doctor my mother is seeing is not returning her phone calls. I do not wish for my mother to drag this on any further because if it is cancerous, she would need to remove it ASAP or find some sort of resolution to this problem. Thank you for your help in advance.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:25 am

Dear Henry710,

The specialist in lymph nodes is called an oncologist ...who deals with Cancer as well. if you have that report and can type it to us,may be we can give you an idea about what's going on. Tell me by ultrasound ..how big is the lymph node...is it one or more, did they describe it in the report? and what about the mammogram...did it show anything in the breasts?
And one important question...the cysts that your mother has removed from both breasts...do you have a pathology report saying what type of cysts they were?
how old is your mother? and is she menopausal now?

don't worry, it may be nothing.we're just making sure,ok? :)

henry710 - Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:02 pm

Clinical data: Patient had surgery on the right breast in 1999, which was benign.

Bilateral Diagnostic Mammography: This examination was reviewed with the benefit of CAD (computer-aid detection).

Two views of the breast show extremly dense breasts with large amount of residual fibroglandular tissues with diffuse nodular pattern. This dense parenchyma of the breasts lowers the sensitivity of the test. Any palpable mass should be managed on a clinical basis.

There is no definite evidence of dominant mass, cluster of suspicious microcalifications, or any other signs of malignancy.

There are lymph nodes in both axillae.

Impression: No evidence of malignancy in the dense breasts. An untrasonography was performed on the same day.

Birads 1: Negative.

Clinical data: Followup to mammogram of the same day.

Bilateral Breast Ultrasonography: The examination reveals no evidence of discrete solid or cystic nodule.

Impression: Normal bilateral breast sonogram.

Birads 1: Negative.
 henry710 - Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:10 pm

Wafaa Abdel-Hadi:

Please keep in mind that my mother does not feel pain in her chest or breast, but her armpit instead. She has been complaining about a pain in her armpit that comes and goes for about 4 months. I am EXTREMLY worried about her condition and weither her lymph node in her armpit has become cancerous. Please, anyone that can give a helping hand, leave some sort of information that can be helpful to me. I car very much about my mother, thnak you for your help. Thank you Wafaa Abdel-Hadi for all the help in advance.
Can you please explain what does "bilateral diagnostic mammography" mean?

(My mother is going through menopause)

What does "examination reviewed with CAD" mean?

What does "large amount of residual fibroglandular tissues with diffuse nodular pattern" mean?

What does "there are lymph nodes in both axillae" mean?

What does "no evidence of malignancy in the dense breast" mean?
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:14 am

Dear Henry710,, Thank you for writing us her clinical data

So your mother hasn't seen an oncologist yet!? ...It's really a matter of an oncologist to see her and examine her by him/herself.

The report you have sent us is very concised, and it doesn't state how big and how many are the Lymph nodes?!
I am afraid that I cannot jugde or even give you advice on such small data. But what I can tell you is that her breast is free...as they've said in the reports.

She needs to see an oncologist to have a look and feel her lymph nodes and to read the Ultrasound report properly.
If the lymph nodes are big enough that concerns him,then he will request a simple procedure called a biopsy to see the cells under the microscope...and determine its nature (benign or malignant.....it might even be inflammatory...let's hope so):-)

about the explanations you want:-
1-"bliateral diagnostic mammography" = that's the name of teh procedure...it's like an ultrasound on the breats(mammo) and bilateral means on both breasts.
2-"examination review by CAD"...= they have explained it already!=computer aid detection...using computer skills as well in diagnosis.
3-"large amounts of residual fibroglandular tissue......etc" that's the normal tissue of the breast...just scientific names,don't worry :wink:
4-"lymph nodes in both axilae"....i understand that you don't know what a lymph node is... it's some sort of glands in the body....responsible for clearing the body from its waste products and has a role in immunity as well....they can be enlarged in alot of cases...all peoplle think of cancer these days... but for an example if u get a flu.. lymph nodes in your neck can get bigger....they are distributed everywhere in your body.

(As i told you ... we have to know how big they are?!how did they look like by ultrasound?!...a doctor should really examine her to see if she needs a biopsy or not)

5-"no evidence of malignancy in the dense breast"= no evidence of cancer in the breast (good)!

So, relax, it might be nothing...just comfort her and arrange for a meeting with an oncologist...that's all for now... tell me how it goes?

Best wishes,

|