Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen gland under ear. Nothing to worry about, right?

Matthias - Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:55 am

Hi there,

My first post! I would just like to take the opportunity to thank all of the doctors and medical experts and students for taking the time to offer their advice and possible causes of illnesses and recommendations! I realise how busy you all must be, so on behalf of everyone - thank you! Thank you also to any "patients" who offer me advice during my time here!

My first question! I have a small to medium gland which has come up under my right ear. I first noticed it in February 2002, after having my ear block up due to excess wax and then being syringed. It could have appeared even earlier, but I only noticed it then. It cannot be seen with the naked eye, only felt slightly, and I have no other symptoms.

I also had a complete blood count and tests for possible glandular fever in April 2003 - nothing to do with the enlarged gland under my ear; and the tests came back perfect, with no problems whatsoever, and the doctor told me I have perfect blood and am in perfect health. Turns out it was just a viral infection, which gave me REALLY nasty hives! What is your advice about this swollen gland? As I said, it could have been there since I was a baby - it is only a fluke I noticed it upon getting my ears examined.

Could it have come up due to my ear being blocked, and just not gone down yet - even a year later? Should I bother getting it looked at if it is not causing problems? It is expensive to visit a doctor where I live, so I don't want to pay for something that turns out to be nothing.

Should I see a doctor urgently, wait until I visit the doctor next for a checkup/health issue, or just not bother about it. It really isn't bothering me in the slightest - I just get uneasy when I think about it. I feel in perfect health. I am scared it might be lymphoma or leukemia, however I have none of the symptoms, and as I said, the swollen gland isn't causing me problems - just stress!

Thanks heaps for your help and advice,

Matthew Sheehan.
 OUBETA - Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:05 pm

Wow I have the EXACT same thing. I have a ever so small lump under my right ear. It comes and goes but never really goes away. Is it a sign of infection?
 Matthias - Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:36 pm

Wow, glad to see I'm not the only one with the same/similar problem. I think mine was bigger during April 2002 after my ear got blocked due to wax, but I don't think that is why it has come up. Doesn't it require an infection somewhere? My teeth are fine...

On an un-related note - ever since I was little, I've had several glands on my neck and above my ears that go up and down at random, but never go away. Was tested fully, and they were shown to be nothing by my doctor. Maybe the one under my ear is the same?
 OUBETA - Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:21 pm

Bump
 Inuyasha - Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:37 pm

I've had that lump behind the back of me jaw and below me right ear too. At least five years its inflammated then decrease, it hasnt really caused any problems for me. Only once or twice has it cause any irritation but it goes away as soon as the next day. I still would like to know what it is too, so...anyone have any info on the subject? ^_^ ???
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:54 pm

User avatar Swellings situated beneath the ear should be examined by your physician. I cannot assume that it is a lymph gland without examining it. But for the sake of the discussion:

If it is a lymph gland and its not increasing in size and does not measure more than 1 cm, then I wouldn't worry about it either. Lymph glands are there to defend us against infection. While doing so they increase in size. Sometimes after they have increased in size they remain larger than normal.

So points to be monitored are:
1. increase in size of the gland
2. increase in number
3. new glands somewhere else.

Regards,
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:22 am

User avatar Hope you are all feeling better by now.
Concerning the possibility of a lymph gland enlargement, please refer to our page on the diagnosis and causes of lymph gland enlargement:
Click here!

Regards,
 slm - Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:31 am

I have had swollen lymph nodes as well -3 of them, one behind my ear that is very small, probably less than 1/2 cm, one even small right below and a third below that that seems to be a little smaller than 1cm - I went to an ENT and he said he wasn't worried about it, because they were small and I should monitor them and if they get larger to let him know. I'm worried of couse. I found them one day when i had an itch behind my ear, so I'm not sure how long they've been there, could be for a long time. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
thanks!
 casinolal - Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:05 pm

I have had a gland or lymph node behind my left ear the comes and goes. It is coming more frequently. My sinus headaches have gone, and I am on entex for conjestion.
My doctor ordered a CBC and I will have a cat scan done in Oct. for sinus and the ear area. The enlargement is releived by hot compresses. It seems It becomes more tender and swollen when I am chewing or eating. Do I have reason to be concerned. The enlargement comes and goes. It seems that I required 10 - 12 hours sleep or else I am tired. My brother died of lung cancer in June 2005. Could this be cancer.
 casinolal - Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:54 am

I did not get a respone to my post it regarding my problem. How do I find a reply. I am new to the forum.
 BW2 - Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:13 pm

I was eating something spicy (not hot) and I started feeling a weird sensation on the right side of my neck under my ear. I felt it and it was really swollen. It went away in about 10 minutes. It has happened 4 times this week and never with the same food. I have eaten other times and it did not happen. Do you have any idea what this might be?
 bienb - Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:50 am

I'm a 42 yr old male. I had a bump or swelling in my earlobes a few years back, and i t went away. But now I have been having a smelly oily secretion from the back of my right earlobe.

i would wash it whenever i happen to rub my right hand fingers behing my ear and smell it. It really smells bad like someone rubbed crap behing my ear. Where is this oil coming from?! I've had it for a year now. I just forget to ask my doctor whenever I have a checkup. I've gotten used to it, but it is really bothersome. I have now developed a habit of rubbing behing my ear and smelling it from time to time.

Somebody help!
 dixieagle - Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:09 pm

bienb wrote:I'm a 42 yr old male. I had a bump or swelling in my earlobes a few years back, and I t went away. But now I have been having a smelly oily secretion from the back of my right earlobe.

I would wash it whenever I happen to rub my right hand fingers behing my ear and smell it. It really smells bad like someone rubbed crap behing my ear. Where is this oil coming from?! I've had it for a year now. I just forget to ask my doctor whenever I have a checkup. I've gotten used to it, but it is really bothersome. I have now developed a habit of rubbing behing my ear and smelling it from time to time.

Somebody help!

I'm not a doctor, but I would bet that a doctor would say it is a cyst of some sort that may or may not be infected. I'd certainly mention it to your physician who can likely clear it up for you.

Marie
 kerosenedisko - Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:59 pm

Hi I'm a 19 year old female and I just had a filling done and about a half an hour after completing the procedure...I felt like someone attached a sandbag to my jaw. After icing it for a bit I realized this gland. It scared me quite a bit.

|