Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: 12 Swollen Aux. Lymph Nodes and Hard Lump in Left Breast

slihn21 - Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:53 am

Thank you for taking the time to read my question!

I have tried looking everywhere for someone having the same symptoms as I do but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

For the past year and a half, I have had recurring lymph nodes swelling in my underarms, recently it's been 7 in my left armpit and 5 in the other. On top of that, I have this lump in my left breast that has just stayed there for the past 9/10 months. The lymph nodes are very painful but the lump in my breast doesn't hurt at all; it's just hard. Radiology screened the lump and said it was very large but I shouldn't worry and they also found a smaller lump that I couldn't even feel myself. But they never gave me a definitive answer.

I have been tested numerous times for both things and they just keep sending me back for more tests. In the beginning, they were testing for cancer and mono which is why I've come to this forum. However, I tested negative for mono and they said no to cancer. My white blood cell count was a little low and blood levels were out of whack but nothing crazily so they just kept switching lots of antibiotics around until they found one that worked (coxicillin - sp?) and it took the swelling of the lymph nodes away initially but they keep coming back on and off. Just to top all of that off, I have headaches every single day. I do not have migraines and eyesight is tested and taken care of. That could be completely separate altogether, but it is something occurring every day.

So my questions would be: Why do my aux. lymph nodes keep popping up? Why won't the lump in my breast go away? What should I ask from the doctors?

Just to note: I live abroad and so I don't speak the language fluently. Nothing personal against doctors here, but they do not have all current medical equipment and sometimes getting answers is a bit hard for me. They speak English but it is not their first language.

Thank you again for your time. I hope I've included all of the important information.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:39 am

It is clear that you have 'lumps' in your left breast and bilateral axillary lymphadenopathy.
Any breast lump is evaluated by what is known as 'triple assessment' -
- physical examination of the breast,
- imaging (ultrasonograpy/mammography) &
- a biopsy of the lump (FNA / core-needle biopsy).
Precise information on the components of the triple assessment is not available in your account.

As far as the axillary lymph nodes are concerned,they may be evaluated by
- physical examination and
- by ultrasonography.
Guided FNAC(fine needle aspiration cytology) may be done.

Obviously, you need a full work up and you need to take steps in this direction.
good luck!

|