News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Breast Biopsy Procedure

mommey2005 - Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:01 pm

On June 1 I had a biopsy done on my right breast for a complex cyst. For the past week I have had pain going from my breast up to my neck and down my arm. My arm and fingers were tingling. Today its not as bad of pain but my arm feels feels really numb and heavy. I talked with my doctor on Friday June 4 and she said it isn't unnormal because my breast were very dense where I had the needle biopsy done. Should this have gone away by now? Any suggestions would be appreciated as what to do for this. A friend of mine said it sounds like they hit a nerve could this be. This really bothers me. Thanks!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:44 am

User avatar Hi,
It would have been very helpful if you had given a bit more details about the breast lump such as the exact location of that swelling within the breast and what kind of biopsy had been performed(FNAB or core-needle biopsy).

It is very unlikely that any nerve had been injured.Theoratically, the potential risk of nerve injury during biopsy of a breast lump is perhaps highest for tumors in the 'axillary tail' of the breast. For tumors elsewhere in the breast, iatrogenic pneumothorax is the main concern.In any case, it would be better for you to consult your surgeon immediatly & get it sorted out.
Good luck!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:31 am

User avatar Hello,Let me add something that could be useful.Like Dr.Kamath has told it is unlikely to be any nerve injury.Sometimes a Herpes zoster can manifest with dermatomal pain and numbness with out a rash.This is known as herpes zoster sine herpete.
Do look out for a rash along the area of pain.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here