News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrine Cancers

Question: Recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Katybug44 - Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:41 pm

I was just recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis found by my Rheumatologist after doing multiple autoimmune/Antibodies test. I had been testing positive (Last 5 lab test ANA, 1:120, 1:140, 1:140) for Lupus. The joint pain left me almost unable to function and the swelling left me unable to close my hands. My PCP recommended a Rheumatologist. She determined from the blood work that I did not have Lupus, Nor did I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. However, the Thyroid came back as an 1800 where the normal range is <60.. So my Rheumatologist sent me back to my PCP to schedule an appt. with a Endrocrinologist. I can not see him until next month and because my Joints we causing much pain my PCP prescribed a Prednisone pack 12days. She also gave me a script for a Thyroid ultrasound. My first question is.. With me being on Prednisone for another week. Should I wait to get the Ultrasound (Will it skew the results if there are nodules or goiter).. and the other question i have is I currently gain about 3-5 lbs a week and I have tried everything. Do you have any suggestions as to what works best for patients with Thyroid problems and should I be taking (or will it help to take) a thyroid supplement OTC?.
Thanks for your Expertise.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:08 pm

User avatar Hi,
It appears that your doctor perhaps considered 'mixed connective tissue disease' (MCTD) on the basis of the clinical features and serological findings. Prednisolone is used to control the symptoms of the MCTD. Thyroid functions may return to normal even without thyroid replacement therapy. There are some reports which appear to show that Hashimoto's thyroiditis responds to systemic steroid preparations.

Corticosteroids are not routinely used in the management of Hashimoto's thyroiditis except in cases of Hashimoto's encephalopathy.

Total T4 and total T3 measurements are less reliable because several medications can interfere with their measurement(for example, glucocorticoids, estrogen and estrogen-containing oral contraceptives, tamoxifen citrate, methadone hydrochloride, nicotinic acid, fluouracil, mitotane, androgens, & anabolic steroids. Measurement of free Thyroid hormones(widely available) overcomes these errors.

I would strongly advise against taking thyroid supplements on your own.It is better to follow your doctor's advice and keep your next appointment.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here