Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: Blood in toilet and on tissue

AnnieMichelle - Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:25 pm

I am a 31 year old female and am very healthy. I do not work or travel because I am a stay at home mom. When I went to the bathroom after a bowel movement not only was there blood on the tissue when I wiped but the toilet was full of blood as well. I'm just not sure what to do. I also get this really sharp pain in the pit of my stomache every time I have to go so can you please tell me what I should do. Is there something seriously wrong with me?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:04 am

User avatar Hi AnnieMichelle,

Bleeding associated with defecation can be
- painful or
- painless.

Painful bleeding can be associated with acute anal fissures.Painless bleeding is always regarded with suspicion as malignant tumors of the rectum tend to present this way. However, the common cause of painless bleeding per rectum is hemorrhoidal disease.In this condition, the bleeding is usually painless, occurs at the termination of defecation and is typically bright red in colour(described often as a 'splash in the pan').

The right thing for you to do is to consult a surgeon who, after performing a digital rectal examination & proctoscopy will be able to arrive at a definitive opinion.Your history does suggest the likelihood of hemorrhoidal disease.
Good day!
 Sassysurvivor - Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:17 am

I am a 51 yr old woman who has had similar troubles for years. I have hemiroidal disease. Could this leed to something worse? I had a colonoscopy 4 years ago and 1 polip was removed. Following the test I again had bleeding. I am due to have another next year. None of my doctors appear to be concerned with the hemaroids. Usually they advise me to use PH.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:52 pm

User avatar Hi Sassysurvivor,
Generally in older individuals any bleeding per rectum mandates exclusion of a colorectal malignancy.In your case, already a colonoscopy had been done and you have known hemorrhoidal disease.If the bleeding is bothering you(so it seems), you should consult a surgeon and discuss the feasibility of certain 'minimalist' procedures such as the 'Barron's banding' which may help in arresting the bleeding.This procedure is well suited for individuals considered to be 'high-risk' cases for 'formal' hemorrhoidectomy.

|