News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Posterior Cervical and Supraclavicular nodes enlarged

Peter01 - Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:41 pm

Dear Doctor,

Since October 2009, my GP has felt a Left Posterior Cervical enlarged and today it is still palpable.
Three weeks ago, he told me that i shouldn't concern because despite of its size, there are no more symptoms associated.The point is: last week I've noticed that my right supraclavicular node was palpable too.
Blood tests taken last week are normal.Should I visit the doctor again because of the new palpable node or should I relax and start beeing a less worried? Should I suggest a biopsy?

Thank you,
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:26 am

User avatar Hi,
Obviously you have enlargement of the level 5 cervical lymph nodes(posterior triangle lymph nodes).

Within the posterior triangle,
Spinal accessory nodes are situated along the spinal accessory nerve and receive drainage from the occipital nodes (which drain the skin of the posterior scalp and neck) and the nasopharyngeal nodes and retropharyngeal / parapharyngeal nodes(which drain the nasopharynx & oropharynx).
Supraclavicular nodes drain into the thoracic duct on the left and the right lymphatic duct on the right. Nodal disease presenting in these areas is more often associated with an infra-clavicular and, sometimes, sub-diaphragmatic primary tumors.

The cervical nodes in your case have persisted since 2009. This certainly needs to be investigated fully (including FNA or an open lymph node biopsy) and expeditiously.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here