Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Right side of breast is Tender and swollen

Cielopalo - Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:22 pm

My right breast has been tender for the past two days. It is not the whole breast. JUST the right side of the right breast. When I touch the left side it is totally fine. My left breast is not swollen or tender at all. I breast feed my 1 year old and this has never happened to me before. Even when I have been on my period this has never happened to me. I have touched my breast and I don't think I feel anything only tenderness. Also when I breastfeed on my left breast I feel pain on my right. What can this be?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:08 am

Your description suggests that you could have early lactational mastitis.Mastitis is usually classified as
- lactational or
- non-lactational.
Generally, one considers mastitis as a possibility if atleast two of the following are present...
- the lactating mother has fever,
- lumpiness in the breast associated with pain & tenderness,
- erythema of the overlying skin, or
- a tense breast which continues to remain tense following breast feeding.

It may be a good idea to consult your GP for an initial assessment(examination of the breasts, body temperature etc). A total WBC count may show polymorphonuclear leucocytosis in cases of mastitis.

As you don't seem to have the other features of mastitis, antibiotic therapy may be withheld presently and you need to be observed to see how it evolves.Imaging studies may not be needed at this stage(i am aware of your family history). Your doctor will be able to guide you in this.

|