Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: Stopped smoking a week ago

cinders - Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:34 am

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post or not but any help would be appreciated!

I'm 27 years old and have been smoking for 10 years. I have never smoked cigarette's but I'm afraid I have smoked 5-6 joints every night for the past 10 years thinking they helped me relax and helped me get to sleep, but in actual fact it was just nicotene addiction. Now I know smoking a joint (due to no filter) is apparantly the same as smoking 3-4 cigarette's... So I guess I've been quite a heavy smoker for 10 years.

I stopped smoking a week ago after watching a DVD (The Easy Way To Stop Smoking by Allan Carr) I would say gave up smoking, but in fact I haven't actually given anything up (if a smoker thinks they are depriving themselves of something then it only makes it more precious...)

Anyway, I broke the 3 day barrier (the worst bit) and now physical cravings have gone and I know I'll never smoke again. I'm just worried about the damage I've done to my lungs....

Now I swim regularly and never have any breathing problems, out of breathness etc. However I know my lung capacity is not what it used to be. I assumed over the past week I'd cough up the cr*p from lungs due to them cleaning themselves (the body is so remarkable!) but nothing...! : (

Anyway my main question is there anything I can do (apart from exercise) to speed up the removal of cr*p from my lungs?... ie. would taking a bronchial dilator help at all?...

Any help appreciated!
 Angela Grunewald, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:13 pm

User avatar there are a couple options.......... first, you can either cough and deep breath on your own or you can use an incentive spirometer. If you cough and deep breath on your own take a nice breath in, followed by a long breath out...when you are breathing out and feel as if there is no more to give....hold your breath. this may force you to cough, otherwise just cough on your own, a nice big cough. do this as often as you would like. I would recomend every hour while you awake. This may take some time but you will notice a difference. If you go the Incentive Spirometer route, it has the same effect however it is an actual device that allows you to measure each expiration, that way you can monitor your lung impovement. Good luck to you and Congrats for quitting. One more thing.....smoking pot has different effects on the body than smoking cigarettes. You, my friend, are saving some brain cells...good for you!...................................Angela,RN

|