News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: Stopped smoking a week ago

cinders - Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:34 am

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post or not but any help would be appreciated!

I'm 27 years old and have been smoking for 10 years. I have never smoked cigarette's but I'm afraid I have smoked 5-6 joints every night for the past 10 years thinking they helped me relax and helped me get to sleep, but in actual fact it was just nicotene addiction. Now I know smoking a joint (due to no filter) is apparantly the same as smoking 3-4 cigarette's... So I guess I've been quite a heavy smoker for 10 years.

I stopped smoking a week ago after watching a DVD (The Easy Way To Stop Smoking by Allan Carr) I would say gave up smoking, but in fact I haven't actually given anything up (if a smoker thinks they are depriving themselves of something then it only makes it more precious...)

Anyway, I broke the 3 day barrier (the worst bit) and now physical cravings have gone and I know I'll never smoke again. I'm just worried about the damage I've done to my lungs....

Now I swim regularly and never have any breathing problems, out of breathness etc. However I know my lung capacity is not what it used to be. I assumed over the past week I'd cough up the cr*p from lungs due to them cleaning themselves (the body is so remarkable!) but nothing...! : (

Anyway my main question is there anything I can do (apart from exercise) to speed up the removal of cr*p from my lungs?... ie. would taking a bronchial dilator help at all?...

Any help appreciated!
 Angela Grunewald, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:13 pm

User avatar there are a couple options.......... first, you can either cough and deep breath on your own or you can use an incentive spirometer. If you cough and deep breath on your own take a nice breath in, followed by a long breath out...when you are breathing out and feel as if there is no more to give....hold your breath. this may force you to cough, otherwise just cough on your own, a nice big cough. do this as often as you would like. I would recomend every hour while you awake. This may take some time but you will notice a difference. If you go the Incentive Spirometer route, it has the same effect however it is an actual device that allows you to measure each expiration, that way you can monitor your lung impovement. Good luck to you and Congrats for quitting. One more thing.....smoking pot has different effects on the body than smoking cigarettes. You, my friend, are saving some brain cells...good for you!...................................Angela,RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here