Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: Mesothelioma: Home Care Help

lizhudson78 - Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:51 pm

HI. My father in law has been diagnosed with Mesothelioma, and has elected to not undergo treatment of the cancer. Instead he has signed up for hospice care. He is adminstering his own pain medication, and as of late has become much less coherent and functional. My husband is his only family member nearby. Hospice has recommended that we get him some home care. Of course, that is very expensive. I would really like to speak to someone who can consult us on home care and ways to pay for it, etc. it was my understanding that people from hospice would be there for him if and when he needed it. Any advice?
 Dr. Jeffrey Gordon - Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:06 am

Hospice care can do a lot for a patient with an end-stage disease or cancer. It can also be a big help to the family. Hospice is available to be of service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. However, Hospice is not in the patient's home all the time. Hospice care does requirethe family to be part of the care. For my patients, most of the them wish to be at home and their families wish for them to be at home. Sometimes, if the care is too much at home, a nursing or Hospice facility can be of help.

I would talk with your Father-in-law's Hospice nurse about what homecare services are covered by Hospice. Unfortunately, not all services are covered. It is important that your Father-in-law receive his pain medications safely. Too little, and the pain will not be controlled. Too much, and side effects will occur.

The Hospice program will have a good talk with you about what services your Father-in-law needs and what services he may be needing in the near future as the mesothelioma progresses. My experience with Hospice care has been a positivie one. It is a great help to my patients and their families.

Jeffrey A. Gordon, M.D.[/img]

|