News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: can epididymitis lead to cancer?

SALAMAT - Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi all,

Good Day,

I had bilateral Varicocelectomy in april 2009 for infertility reasons. then by July my we've got a baby girl:-)

Approx. in marsh 2010 i felt like small hard lump on the upper side of the left testis then it was associated with pain and enlarged somehow. i went to see the doctor "who did the Varicocelectomy to me" and he said - after having semen / urin analysis and culture + Ultra sound - it is epididymitis "on the head of the left eppid.". knowing that the S&U analysis and culture gave normal results "no infiction, pus, RBC, WBC, or bacterial presence. only UltraSound give the indication". and he gave me antibiotics for 20 and said the swilling will not go. now i don't feel the pain, although it is uncomfortable and some few times it tickles me. and now i am feeling that the tail of my right eppid. has the same feeleing "swilling and tickling especially during sexual intercourse". to confirm, I went to other urology doctors and all gave the same diagnosis after Ultrasound only.

my questions now are, is this a consequence of the Varicocelectomy? is it true that the swelling can't be removed? what is the cause of it if the semen/urin analysis showed nothing? shall i live with it peacefully?

Thanks a lot for your support,

kindest regards.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:51 pm

User avatar Hi,
Firstly let me congratulate you for the successful outcome of the varicocelectomy. Varicocelectomy per-se, is not expected to cause an epididymitis.

In clinical practice,one tends to classify epididymitis into
- acute and
- chronic types.

The pathogenesis of epididymitis in general, and chroinc epididymitis in particular is poorly understood. Although generally believed to be an infective process, a sizable number of these patients show no demonstrable evidence of infection.

There is no universally accepted definition for "chronic" epididymitis. Its incidence and prevalence have not been well studied.It remains a "common and important, but neglected, urologic diagnosis.Some workers have recommended that it should be defined as "symptoms of discomfort and/or pain at least 3 months in duration in the scrotum, testicle, or epididymis localized to one or each epididymis on clinical examination" (Rev Urol. 2003 Fall; 5(4): 209–215.).

An epididymitis (inflammation of the epididymis), generally regarded to be due to a retrograde entry of organisms via the vas deferens. This affects the tail of the epididymis first,then its body and then its head.The swelling may persist for varying lengths of time despite adequate treatment.

Varicocelectomy is not an accepted cause of epididymitis.

You have not indicated whether the ultrasound report indicated an "acute" or a "chronic" epididymitis. In your case,it is important first to determine whether your symptoms are indeed as a result of epididymitis.

Epididymectomy certainly feasible and in several studies it is shown to be beneficial in relieving the symptoms of 'chronic' epididymitis.

In uncomplicated acute epididymitis, management is in most cases, non-operative.

I feel that you should quit worrying excessively and let your doctor deal with it based on the clinical findings and the results of the various tests.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here