Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Blood clot in the thigh in a bone cancer patient

eveline1 - Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:12 pm

my mom has breast cancer previously, which leads to bone caner at the spinal cord. ( I forget exactly which part of the spinal cord.) she is under chemotherapy for a number of years as she cannot go through surgery to remove the cancerous cells and wheelchair bound for a year, 'cause her legs muscles are too weak. now she has a blood in her thigh which can only be removed through injection. so may i ask that is the blood clot due to the cancer cells in her body?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:32 am

User avatar Hi eveline1,
There are numerous reasons for blood clots. When the blood flow is slowed for example, by inactivity, blood tends to "pool", become sluggish, collect in the area of inactivity (especially the legs). Blood clots are usually treated with administration of a blood thinner, which disolves the clots. In my opinion the blood clot would be due to the inactivity.

|