Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: High Lymphocyte count

Moleman2000 - Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:14 pm

I am a 42 year old male. I had Hodgkins (stage 4a) in 1989. 1 Year of Mopp and ABVD, been in remission since. About a year ago I went from 173 pounds down to 160.I have not lost any recently. I went to the doctor for fatigue and tightness in abdomen area. They checked liver and kidney functions, everything ok. They noticed my blood work was strange. They did a flow cymetry test and said that my lymphocytes count was high. I guess normal is around 40-42%, mine was at 80%. They did mri scan and pet scan to check for hodgkins reoccurance, it was ok. They thought during this time that it was early stages of CLL. They did a bone marrow biopsy and aspiration, and said it was ok, so that ruled out Leukemia. He said he did want to see me again in 6 months. He said it could be high due to previous chemo treatments. My question is do you think I should continue to get this checked out or wait for 6 months to see where I am at then.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:13 am

User avatar Hello,Monoclonal B cell lymphocytosis(MBL) is now being recognized as a benign syndrome which is asymptomatic,and small clones of Bcells recognized on the peripheral smear.Most MBLs though they carry some features of CLL do not proceed further in most.This occurs more often over 50 years of age.I would be interested to know more about the flow cytometric studies,and monoclonal antibody studies before offering a diagnosis.

|