Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Colonoscopy preparation causes extreme pain

debra dees - Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:33 am

I have to have a scheduled colonoscopy because a fical test came out positive. My problem is that the prep is very, extremely, painful. A regular bowel movement can cause pain so bad that I sweat and feel sick and faint. I realize the preps are necessary but any type laxative is very painful. Is there anything I can do? I usually have a very high tolerance for pain but it is too much for me. I have been diagnosed with diverticulosis and IBS. Pleae help me at least understand this problem Gas pains always hurts in the very middle - like by the bladder.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:37 pm

Ask your doctor to prescribe an anti-spasmodic preparation to relieve any laxative-induced spasms. This should be started a few hours before, or with the laxative and continued for at least 24 hours after the investigation.

I hope your pre- and post-colonoscopy periods are devoid of pain.

Dr Anthony Solomon