News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: WBC and diagnosis of leukemia

angie23 - Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:42 am

I have noticed that there are some people who have been diagnosed with low counts...and was wandering what gave doctors the red flag as to something is wrong? I have had wbc of 12.7 and then retested to be 10.7 and then 10.3 a month later and then a few months later back up to 13.6. It is my neutrophils that are elevated and the doc isn't worried, believes it is some minor infection and I did have an ear infection develop after. Yet I am concerned when I read other stories. Can anyone help me out?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:05 pm

User avatar angie23,
There are alot of criteria which help diagnose leukemia. One of them is an increase in the total leucocyte count. However, as you mentioned that is not always the case and in some instances the total WBC count is even less than normal. Other criteria used in the initial evaluation of a blood film for leukemia include the type of cells (blast cells) and the pattern of increase in the differentials counts. Indeed some patterns are consistent with infection (as in your case). To ease your worries let me assure you that the diagnosis of leukemia is usually not a problem when attended to by experts in the field.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here