Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: Please Help me, Im convinced that I have Leukemia

cassie - Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:03 pm

Hi, let me introduce myself as Miss Hypochondria! I have been diagnosed with OCD AND GAD a few years back. I always think I have some horrible disease. Im 29 year old female, my birthday was 2 days ago and It's been awful. I am now convinced that I have some sort of blood cancer like Leukemia. When I first started Prozac 3 years ago I develped all these bruises on my legs, then little pin prick blood dots all over my body, they are so tiny. I stoped prozac for a year and the bruises deminished yet the blood dots stayed. I started taking Prozac again about 3 months ago and again the bruises came. I went to my doctor and she said it was from all the Ibprofen I was taking, she did not order any blood tests. I cut out the Ibprofen and the bruises have calmed down but I always seem to have one somewhere on my legs or arm. Eleven days ago I started feeling this fluttering, twitching sensation under my left bottom rib intowards the stomach, this concerned me after the 5th day and it was still happening. So I pushed and prodded to see if I could feel some swelling and now Im a litte tender there. I made the mistake and read about Enlarged Spleen and it told me that I have Leukemia! Im so freaked out and I cant stop obsessing about this. I get nauseated about once a month and it will last for nearly a week. Doctor says it's nerves but I think its just another sign. I have joint pain in both shoulders have for about 2 years or so. Left shoulder is worse, feels like bone on bone and it always hurts. Doctor said rottery cuff wear but of course I doubt that. Please help me im so scared and I want to stop symptom surfing all of this. I read about Chronic Leukemia and that freaked me out more because the articals I read said you could have it for years without any symptoms so now Im a total mess! I start my new job this sunday and I cant be worried about this stuff. Im seconds away from calling in the ambulace!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun May 01, 2005 1:25 am

I obviously can't give you a definitive diagnosis here on the net. But the fact that your doctor didnt order a blood count tells you that she does not suspect anything serious. Spontaneous bruising is sometimes associated with some women. If you are worried about leukemia then there is nothing you can do but get a blood picture done. That would probably be better than calling the ambulance. :)

|