News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: Concerned

kattmandu - Tue May 03, 2005 2:59 am

Hi,
I have been having strange symptoms for the last month, and would like some clarification and possibly recommendations.

First I am 30 years old on Wednesday :shock: .

The symptoms I've been having are faint but nonetheless they are bothering me. I woke up one morning (about 30 days ago) not feeling well (mild diarehea, a mild fever [ ~ 100 F or so]); no cough, or any other symptoms I could associate with a cold or flu, etc. Coincedently, I started the path to not smoking at this time as well (patches; then no more patches, no more smoking, no cheating :D it's been a month!!).

I noticed an odd feeling in my chest, not a pain, just different. I am now able to "crack" my xiphoid process/sternum and sometimes it feels like I'm squishing something when I press on it. I've also noticed an odd sensation in my left arm as well, again not really pain, just odd, sort of tingling, almost like it's colder then the rest of my body.

I immediately scheduled an examination with my doctor. He asked about family history (My father has been diagnosed with lung cancer and is going through various treatments). My doctor didn't seem to have any concerns. Said that I probably never noticed the xiphoid process thing before, and I seem to be under a lot of stress. Basically I was dismissed and told I have nothing to worry about and to learn to better manage stress now that I'm not smoking. I'm contemplating getting a second opinion (at least a chest x-ray or something). This is really starting to freak me out; so definitely not helping with stress management.

I know I'm young, and getting lung cancer at 29-30 is like winning the lottery (some twisted evil lottery, but nonetheless it happens). Should I go get a second opinion, or am I being a 'cyberchondriac'?

Also, I just found out recently, that friends of mine that attended a party with me the night before I woke up the diarehea and fever were diagnosed with strep throat. Am I just presenting this in some weird way?? Again, the dr I saw didn't seem too worried about it (I'm pretty sure he dismissed everything as stress related)

Thanks so much for your attention!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun May 28, 2006 5:41 am

User avatar Hi kattmandu,
Congratulations on quitting smoking! Viral symptoms seem to have been making another round ranging from upper respiratory infections to gastrointestinal complaints, ie, fever, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. It seems as though you had the gastrointestinal symptoms, which I hope by now have subsided. Inquire with your physician about a chest xray. This will alleviate any concerns and is a relatively easy diagnostic study. Identification of any underlying abnormality can be identified. As for your birthday (Happy Birthday) think of birthday's as a blessing. Just think of all the lives you have touched just by the fact of being born. You are actually granted another year to make a difference. Celebrate them, they are truly worth celebrating. Best wishes to your father and his treatments and best wishes to you as well.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here