News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Cancer

Question: Elevated Liver Enzymes

fitnessdego - Mon May 23, 2005 1:07 pm

My husband has had elevated liver enzymes show up in his bloodwork for the last 5-6 years now. It is inconsistent though - the doctors usually request additional bloodwork, and those results show the levels have returned to normal. This last visit though, they found the elevated levels again, requested the additional bloodwork (still elevated), and then scheduled an ultrasound of his liver, but found nothing abnormal from the ultrasound.

He is a healthy 6'4", 220 lb. 29 year old male, who never drank in his teens, and only has a beer or two every couple of weeks. He has never smoked or done drugs. He has been taking a natural liver balance supplement over the past few years - and he takes it pretty regularly.

I am concerned though, because his parents were both alcoholics (though they are no longer), and his mother drank and did drugs throughout her entire 9 month-pregnancy with him. This fact troubles me greatly.

Could that be attributing to this "yo-yo" liver enzyme count? Should I be pushing the doctors to do futher testing?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:56 pm

User avatar How elevated and what enzymes exactly are affected? Any other abnormal bloodwork? Has he had a hepatitis panel? Has he ever had hepatitis A or B? Any health conditions other than this?

His parents' alcoholism doesn't affect his liver. Does he take vitamins, "herbal" supplements, Tylenol or any other over the counter medicines?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here