Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: Scrotal Mass

Anonymous - Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:49 am

Hi- When I was 15 I had a pain in my left testicle so bad it made me vomit. I went to my doctor and he had me on pain killers and had me wear a jock strap for a couple of weeks. My testicle swelled about 1 1/2 times it's normal size. When it was done being swollen it shrunk all the way done to the size of a small bean maybe pea size and it was hard. He said one condition strangled the other, but unfortunately it resulted in the loss of one of my testicles that I am not at all happy about but I dealt with it and moved on with life. My right testicle grew slightly larger and I had no trouble sexually in any way including sensation. Now comes the important part but I had to mention first that I am down to 1 testicle. Ok life went on ok till I was about 30. While in a sexual act, the woman I was with rubbed my right testicle (which is my only one now) with her knuckle while orally and with her other hand until I climaxed and ejacualted. Well the next morning I noticed that my epididymis was starting to swell more and more until it reaches a certain size and firmness. Now this didn't really bother me all that much, besides scaring me on to what was happening with my last remaining testicle. I also noticed a very small firmness near the top of my testicle in the general vacintity of my now swollen and hardened epididymis. This one appeared to be attached to my testicle. Well I figured it was from this woman who I said performed this sexual act on me when I said she rubbed my testicle firmly with her knuckle. But the whole thing still scared me a little so I went to a medical library and read up a Testicular Cancer. The idea of them taking my last remaining testicle scared me to death and there was no way I wanted to go to the doctor to find out it was cancer. But I went to a female doctor anyway, and she felt the swollen epididymis and said we were going to do nothing at that point. So I felt it was not serious enough then to worry about it. I am now 46 and it probably was foolish not to pursue having another doctor look at it, but I was scared and did not want to live with no testicles and have to receive hormone shots to keep my voice deep and sexual drive active. I also wouldn't be able to ejaculate. So I maybe foolishly thought that I would just wait and see if anything got worse. In the meantime I have had 3 kids and have had normal and great sex. Nothing has changed with anything except that swelling that was smaller and appears to be attached to my teaticle got slightly larger over the years but I could swear it changes size and sometimes it appears to shrink if I squeeze and play with it enough, but I am not positive. I am almost positive that it does seem to change in size which makes me think it is a good thing. The only discomfort I have felt over the years is tollerable. I get the sensation to subtly touch or grab at that spot with my hand. I feel a little soreness sometimes to the right of my scrotal area in the crease of my uppermost thighunder my hip. Lying down and in sitiing positions almost always makes any discomfort if I had any go away. I have had thoughts over the years because I have read about harmless swellings to go to the doctor but I am a bit of a chicken when it comes to the doctor and have them put in a fake testcle on my left side and surgically repair my condition in my right scrotum assuming that it is a benign condition, but I am scared to find out if it may be cancer. I am hoping since I waited 16 years after the symptoms first appeared that it could not possible now be cancer or it probably would have worsened by now. Am I right Doc I hope? If you tell me that it most likely is Not cancer because it has been so long, then that may get me to a doctor otherwise I do not want to know because I do not want to be in that situation I mentioned with No testicles at all. I can live with this, but it just scares me to think if it is cancer and as I said I am trying to reasure myself that it most likely is not cancer since I waited so long to get it thouroughly checked out so I am considering having it taken care of at no risk of losing my last testicle because they say harmless sweeling can get bigger and cause some discomfort which I have from time to time but can tollerate it but I also want the piece of mind knowing it is ok and it will be left up to me when I get the courage to correct everything as I stated I wanted to do. Doc can you help me, I know what you will tell me to do but you have to understand my position on it. Is there a great chance since I waited 16 years that it most likely is NOT cancer?
 Dr. Jeffrey Gordon - Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:07 am

The fact that so many years have gone by and the situtaion with your remaining testicle has not changed or worsened would lean away from the problem being realted to a testicular cancer. Such a cancer situation would not remain basically unchanged and not grow and spread over the course of years. Most likely the problem is "benign", not cancerous.

It is difficult to assess fully your problem without the benefit of a proper physical examination. Thus, I would recommend thart you see you family physician for a check-up that includes a testicular examination.
 joe57777 - Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:36 am

Hi Doc- Thanks for the reassurance on my situation. The latest development on this probem I have with my testicle area is that I just discovered that the spermatic cord leading up to what appears to be my swollen epididymis which was my very first concern abiut 16 years ago when this happened, feels like worms when you grab at them. All those cords feel like worms and one of the cords that goes down and attaches near the top portion of my testicle is where that 2nd swelling is that I was a little worried about it because it got slightly bigger over this 16 year time period being cancer. I can take my index and thumb and grab that particular cord and find that I can feel that this swelling that appears to be growing from the testicle out, is actually going from the bottom of this cord into the testicle. I can grab both sides of it with my thumb and index finger as I said and sqeeze both sides of it as part of the bottom of this cord that is part of the spermatic cord that leads up to the epididymis. My point here is that I am tending to agree with you from what I have been reading that this could be condition that is originating outside of the testicle which gives me a better chance that it may not be cancer. Also this condition probably is causing from time to time diferent levels of mild discomfort that goes anywhere from my thigh to my front and or the back of my hip because it may be touching or interfering with nerves that affect that area. I don't know if you agree with that or not but it makes sense. Also I hope you still agree that my condition after adding this info to my earlier explaination, that my condition in my remaining testicle is most likely benign because that will get me to the doctor and I agree for piece of mind at least I should have it checked out. I want to further ask you doc as you didn't address it before, is it a good idea and is it very painful and is there a chance of complications and or rejection if I wanted to put in a fake testicle to replace the one I lost when I was 15 years old? This will make me appear normal to woman. Does it benefit me for what my insurance will pay for and for what I have to go through to have it done? Maybe if I get this one condition taken care of assuming it is benign, that I could do everything at once and include it in the cost of the other testicle work and move on with the rest of my life?

Dr. Jeffrey Gordon - Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:12 pm

It is always a good and sound policy to have a medical prblem checked out by your physician. There are many benign problems that can occur with the testicles. However, even benign problems when left unattended can develop into major problems.

There are testicular prostheses that can be implanted. They look and feel normal. Discuss this with you doctor. Your famiuly physician may seek the input of a Urologist.

|