News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: 4mm Lump on my lymphnode

letsallydrive - Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:04 pm

I had a CT scan today for stomach issues. When the Dr called with the results he said that aside from the hernia they found, the radiologist found a 4mm lump on my lymphnode on or behind my esophagus near the diaphragm.

I don't know the first thing about lymph nodes or what they do. He has recommended that I get an MRI to "check it out further" although he assured me that it may just be a cyst, it may be nothing or it might be something.

Thats what I am curious about. I don't know what lymphnodes do and what types of "things" that can grow on them IE-could this be cancerous or is it most likely just a cyst or is this a common normal occurance?
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:36 pm

Dear letSallydrrive,
Lymph nodes are very important to get rid of the waste products of the body...and they are crucial in immune system...they fight hard against invaders :)

so is it a lymph node or something on it?!

If it's a 4mm lymph node...that is not significant... and i am surprised they recognized a 4mm node by CT scan!

it's probably inflammatory due to your stomach condition?

If it is a cyst (an abnormal site for a cyst)...an ultasound can rule that out.

Best regards,
 letsallydrive - Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:49 pm

It's a 4mm LUMP on the node. Thats whats so darn confusing for me. If it was the node itself I wouldn't be concerned but he specifically stated it was a LUMP ON the node. I know through family experience that if it's a lump it is generally some type of growth.....

He recommended an MRI. Is that unusual?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here