News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Desperate for answer....

patient15 - Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:17 pm

First off, I don't think I have colon cancer but I am really hoping you can help me with my problem. Since January I have had an extremely foul odor coming from my rectum area. At first I couldnt tell where it was coming from but now I am sure it is the rectum. I can assure you that it is not body odor as I have never had a problem with something like this before. This is really effecting my life and my job. It gets extremly bad at certain points and I am helpless trying to control it. Since January I have seen my physician, a dermatologist, 2 emergency hospital doctors, and 2 colon surgeons. First they said it was a jock itch or yeast infection but I didnt think that it was that because I don't believe they realize how bad it smells. I used several medications for that and nothing cured it. Then I noticed something, it looks like a really small hole above my rectum hole. This is exactly where my discomfort is coming from and the smell. I then went to the emergency room to get checked. The doctor diagnosed me with a fisuta (sounded like I finally found my answer) but when I got a colonoscopy they said I didnt have it. Although they kept checking for damage inside (me and the doctor saw it outside). I expressed to them you really have to look but they didnt seem to think that was the case. Is it possible I somehow have a small hole above my rectum that is causing discomfort and a foul odor? If so, what could of caused this and what can I do to fix this problem which has taken over my life? Thanks for your help....
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:48 pm

User avatar Dear patient15,

Since you have described in your posts, a history of repeated attacks of skin infections and lesions that were diagnosed to be of either eczema origin or as an infection with candida.

A possible scenario could be that one of these deeply seated infected lesions (abscess) was not adequately treated, as a result a chronic abscess was formed. Repeated activation was
followed by sinus formation which from time to time discharge this foul odor secretions. Most bacterial, fungal, anaerobic or mixed infection, give rise to bad odor discharge. Ttenderness and discomfort in the perianal area is usually felt where the lesion is present.

To investigate this problem more, the discharge from this sinus should be sent for cytological and bacteriological study.
Complete blood picture CBC will be of help.

Exclusion of other suppurative perianal lesions that form fistulas which do not open inside the anal canal should also be considered, these lesions include:
•Hidradenitis suppurativa
•Infected inclusion cysts
•Pilonidal disease.

It might appear a remote possibility, but some forms of sexually transmitted diseases give similar clinical picture.

Complete detailed history and physical examination are very important in the diagnosis of this condition.
I advise you to continue your investigations and to keep on follow up with your consultant.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here