News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Flattened stool

John Diaz - Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:19 am

I've been experiencing flattened stool for many months and I have been concerned because of all the stuff that I am reading. I am a 39 year old male with a history of high blood pressure and kidney stones. I recently started taking a medication for reducing the size of my prostate called uroxatrol. For a while I though the narrowing of my stool was the effects of taking different med (blood pressure, prostate) but after reading about colon cancer I am very concerned. But to be honest that seems to be the only symtom I am experiencing. I get the occasional "loose stool" but its mostly the flatted stool and it about the size of my finger. I have no blood that I could see, I go regular once every day. I have no weight loss, the color is not black or dark. I am not fatitiged (no more than everyone else) I have talked to my doctor and she said we will keep an eye on it. She scheduled an appointment six months from now. Could this be anything else? My diet kinda stinks. I eat alot of junk food (I've slowed it down lately). I don't eat alot of fruits or veggies. If I change my diet and add more fiber, can this help? Should I do something else?

Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:09 am

User avatar Hi John Diaz,
Did you have a rectal exam or any diagnostic studies? Any changes in bowel habit's unrelated to diet etc. should absolutely be evaluated by your physician. "Ribbon-like" stools would indicate a change in bowel habits. Even though you are not having other symptoms, I would suggest inquiring with your physician about having further diagnostics.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 John Diaz - Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:20 pm

Just wanted to thank you for your advice. I went to a G.I. doctor and she recommended a colonoscopy, which I went for and everything was negative. All I have were hemmorriods! What a weight off my shoulders! Thanks again!!! :D
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:13 am

User avatar Hi John Diaz,
I am very glad to hear that news! Remember to keep regular physical evaluations. I appreciate the follow up post. Take care.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here