Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen Lymph Node

CrimsonLegacy - Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:46 pm

I'll start from the begining to hopefully make it easier. I had lymph node come up on the back right side of my head a little over a year ago. It was close to my mastoid bone, according to some illustrations possibly postauricular or occipital. It was probably the size of a peanut and quite hard and painful. It would come up and go down in a matter of minutes. I went to two different doctors who said it was probably a infection and one prescribed me Doxycyclene, and the node went down about a week later and it didn't return for about six months. When it returned six months ago, I just got my prescription of Doxycyclene refilled, and the node went down about a week later. It is still larger than the one on the other side of my head. However, it is no larger than 1/2 centimeter. I had shaved my head the night before each time the node enlarged. Is it possible that had something to do with it? Anyway, now i'll move to the present. A couple of weeks ago I went for a physcal, and the doctor said I had a swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck. I had a sore throat around a month earlier, and I have allergies so I keep alot of sinus drainage. He advised me just to keep a check on it, and come back in four weeks. Well, every since then I've constantly been feeling my neck. When I extend my head backward I can see the lymph node, but otherwise it is unnoticable. It also feels like the size of peanut or bean. It feels hard, but it insn't irregular in shape, it is extremely moveable, but it isn't sore. I also found a small node behind my left ear, that is smaller than 1/2 centimeter. My throat started to fill a little raw, so I went to another doctor about a week later. He said my throat was a little red, and the lymph in my throat was a little swollen. He gave me a shot for my allergies and some sample of Zyrtec. He said he thought the node was just viral and nothing to worry about. However, I voiced my concerns and he done a cbc and cmp for bloodwork. He also done a chest x-ray, and a E.K.G. The e.k.g was due to my high blood pressure. The tests all came back normal. Do you think I should listen to the doctor, and quit mashing on my neck every couple of minutes or go to another doctor? The node has been there for two weeks now.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:36 pm

User avatar Hi CrimsonLegacy,
I understand your concern that this maybe something more serious than your doctors are saying. However, in performing their normal function of defending against infection and inflammation, lymph nodes tend to enlarge. In that sense I think it is very probable that your shaving had something to do with it. As long as you have been examined and were cleared by a doctor I think you have nothing to worry about.
You should only seek his attention if the lymph nodes enlarge in size or new lymph nodes arise in the coming few months.

|