Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: Radiological Interpretation

kwmills - Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:26 pm

I'm a lung cancer survivor, I just had the results of my last CT scan given to me by my Dr. The findings are as follow: Lungs demonstrate new patchy infiltrative densities at the posterior segments of the right middle lobe, posterior segment of the left upper lobe, medial and lateral segments of the right middle lobe and right lower lobe. The Ct also shows worsening of a mediastinal adenopathy that was discovered in April. My physician has schedule a PET Scan to be follow by a Bronchioscopy. My question is, is this a definite sign that my cancer is back or could it be something else? Can you explain tp me in more details what this findings mean to me and my health?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:05 am

User avatar kwmills,
It would be hard for me to interpret your scans over the internet. The whole case should be taken into consideration. The duration between your remission and these findings is very important. The longer the duration the more in favour that this is not cancer. Your symptoms are vital. If you have recently had pneumonia then this could be a result of pneumonia. It seems that your doctor is not certain that this is indeed a recurrence which is why he sent you for a PET scan. This is good news. However, the possibility of recurrence remains and must be ruled out by every means possible. Hopefully the PET scan would clarify everything.

|