Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: Severely swollen testicle

Annabelle - Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:08 am

I am completeing some research for a novel in which a character develops an extremely swollen testicle. This part of the story is based on an actual incident in which a person was admitted to hospital and kept there under observation due to this condidtion. I have been informed that the diagnosis was that the swelling was due to fluid build up caused by having sex.
I appreciate that this is a serious forum soley dedicated to advising the public on their genuine health concerns, but i would be most grateful if a doctor could give me a little assistance here in my research. Can this really be the cause of temporary swelling, if so, briefly why does it occurr and what is the correct name for the condition. I assume it is quite rare. Your input is very gratefully received. Many thanks, Annabelle.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:04 am

User avatar Although I am not an MD, perhaps I can help you.

Swollen testicles can be the result of numerous conditions, including testicular cancer, injury, epididymitis, inguinal hernia, hydrocele, and others, but sex without injury or any testicular condition is not known to cause swollen testicles.
 Annabelle - Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:46 am

Thank you, i am very much obliged. Would it be possible then that sexual activity could result in bruising or trigger a blocked gland which would cause the temporary swelling in this case, since thankfully in this instance it was not due to a more serious complaint?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:16 pm

User avatar Sexual activity alone would not cause bruising and/or swelling of the testicle(s), and wouldn't cause the conditions that do.

|