News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: 3 FEC + 3 Taxotere: Should I do it?

PinkRibbonJen - Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:59 pm

My oncologist is recommending I do 3 FEC + 3 Taxotere. This seems a somewhat new regimen and I am a bit hesitant. Here are my stats:

IDC
2cm tumor
er/pr/her2 negative
no positive nodes
grade 3
Overall stage 1c
Age 38
No family history
Have had lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy.

The "standard" treatment seems to be 4AC + 4 Taxol. Why should I (or not) do the FEC/Taxotere? The only study I find compares it to 6 FEC. But what about comparing it to AC?

Thanks for any help!
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:56 am

Dear pinkribbonjen,

The very classic regimen is 6 FEC or FAC + radiotherapy sessions.... but i guess he recommends adding taxol in case of micro metastasis. IDC is aggressive and i am surprised they haven't removedthe whole breast. BUt it's small...and since there are no positive lymph nodes and they have removed it all then a lumpectomy is certainly better phsycologically than removing the whole breast.

It's a good plan...,new one , so you won't find a lot of papers about it. And it's as efficient if you tolerated the taxol.

Good luck,
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:13 am

User avatar Yes I agree with Dr. Wafaa.
The study you are referring to is the PACS 01 trial the results of which were published in December 2004. FAC and FEC regimens were considered standard treatment long before AC --> Taxol and they are both valid regimens till today. More and more results are coming in favour of using taxanes in the adjuvant setting. So it seems wiser to compare a new line of treatment to the more established regimen (FEC, FAC).
You should also not PinkRibbonJen, that FAC is exactly the same as AC with the addition of 5-Floururacil (the 'F'). FEC replaces the A (Adriamycin) with E (Epirubicin) an analogue of adriamycin produced by the same company which they claim is safer to the heart and thus larger doses are given.
Another point which Dr. Wafaa brought up: since you have opted for a breast conservation surgery, which is a perfectly valid option, have you taken radiotherapy to the breast?
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here