Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Sour Nipple and a Hard Small Lump

David - Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:32 pm

I am a male and I am worried about a hard lump under my nipple area on my right breast area. My father actually had a (excuse the spelling here but here goes) mastectomy of his right breast. So since he had one I realize that it could probably happen to me as well. Back to me. The lump is small but very firm and it is around the nipple area under that darken area. It is also very sore to the touch and is getting sorer every day. It feels like a pin is being jammed into my nipple when I press on it.
Any ideas please?
Thanks in advance. I am sure someone is thinking the is some sort of a joke but I assure you it is not a joke. I haev a regualr appointment with my family doctor very early next month. (12-3-2003)
Regards,
David
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:14 pm

User avatar Hello David!

A lump in the male breast need not always invite fear. Malignancy or cancer in the male breast is relatively rare compared to gynecomastia (the diffuse enlargement of the breast). How long have you been having this lump? Has it always been painful? Has it grown slow/fast since notice? Is there any discharge?

In approximately 30% of males with breast cancer, family history is positive for the disease. A history of testicular trauma could also increase the risk for breast cancer. A male breast cancer typically presents as a painless mass behind the areola ('that darken area'). This is yet another pointer towards a benign diagnosis like an abscess caused by infection or fat necrosis due to lack of blood supply to the fat tissue in the breast, or gynecomastia due to other causes like drugs or hormonal imbalance or tumors.

The key to the diagnosis is an FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) where the cells from the lump are taken out using a needle and examined under the microscope to verify the exact kind of cells making up the lump. If such examination does not clarify the cause, one would require a biopsy, which takes a little tissue from the lump to be examined.

The presence of lumps (lymph nodes) in the right arm pit could pronounce a graver predicament. In any case, a visit to the surgeon should be the next step. And I assure you nobody with a lump in his/her breasts would take it as a joke, and as for males to worry about it would be a waste.

I hope this helps.

Bill
 David - Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:55 pm

That information does help immensley. It seems that I don't have too much to worry about, but getting to the doctor is still in my best interest.
To answer you questions, the lump has been there for a few weeks since I noticed anyway. It was not sore to begin with and as of late, last week and a half, it has been getting more sore each day. There is no discharge. It seems to be growing quicker in the last week as well. Under my right armpit, there is a small lump where I beleve a gland to be that is more towards the fron of my armpit. (Closer to the breast area but stil well under the armpit.)
The odd thing here is the testicular trauma you mentioned. Last week I posted a question about a very hardened, what I would call a vien, is going from the shaft of my penis all the way to the head. It is much more pronounced when I have an erection. I have also told my doctor about it and he is wanting to make sure we look at his when I go for my next visit. This hardness is not sore but is defintley a bothersome thing for I have never had this before. Since I am 46, you would think I have experienced most of these types of events.
Thanks again for your repsonse and I will make sure I speak with my docotr about both of these problems when I see him on the 3rd of December.
Regards,
David
 ny_harv - Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:43 am

well i know this post was made 2 years ago but hopefully David may still read this... I am having these exact symptoms --- I first noticed it about 2 months ago and it seems to have been getting slowly but steadily worse. I have seen several doctors and they mostly shrug their shoulders and say "its nothing to worry about". But it is quite painful to the touch and if I sleep on my stomach the pressure hurts. Needless to say the physical embarrassment of a man having lopsided breasts!! I no longer am comfortable wearing t-shirts or going to the beach etc.

a specialist I saw wanted me to take Nolvadex (Tamoxifen) but after reading about the side effects I decided not to take it. I am overweight but not obese and I was told that gynecomastia is not usually caused by obesity anyway.

did you get any progress on treatment or cure for this? I don't think I can live the rest of my life with this condition! :shock: the weird thing is nobody knows what caused this..... I am 30 yrs old, I do not smoke or do drugs, and rarely drink. I do not take any prescription medications either.
 tattootearz - Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:59 am

Guys for the last week or so I've been having alot of pressure around my head and the back of my neck. My body temperature has been higher than normal, as well. If I take Aspirin with Fever reducer, it seems to to receed for awhile. Usually returning when I wake up the next morning. I also had a Sore under my tongue and on the side of my cheek.... that has been giving me discomofort for the last 4-5 days or so. My girlfriend gave me some Orajel Oral solution for the pain but Im not sure how that works in terms of "healing" the sores. I've had sores in my mouth numerous times in my life but I don't recall ever one lasting and hurting for as long as these 2 have.

It is very uncomfortable to eat or drink... or even talk for that matter. When I use the Orajel, I can do all of the above with ease but there is some degree of numbness.

Now I've noticed that over the last few days, my right nipple has been very sore. I shrugged it off as just some anonymous body pain maybe it happened when I was sleeping. This morning I was fiddling around with my nipple to see if the pain had lessened, and I noticed that there is a small hard lump directly under my nipple.

With all these things happening at once, I am so afraid.

I am 26yrs old... 5'6 about 191lbs. I don't have any history of breast cancer in my family. I am so afreaid of Doctors and Hospitals and I havent had a routine physical in a couple years now. I feel pretty normal and I know that I have to see a doctor soon... I'm just sop afraid.
 tirgots - Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:58 pm

Can i know what it is it is hard and sometime when i press it gives a little bit of pain i wonder what is it im only 16 yrs old but nothing discharge in my nipple and my lump i think is 4-5months now and i already have this when im 14 and it is only a little time i think 1month it disappear but now it appear again what should i do and what it is? :cry:
 tirgots - Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:17 am

I have also a lump in my nipple and im a male when i touch it sometimes it hurts when i touch and touch it again the pain goes out when i squeezed my right nipple i squeezed it very hard and something came out a little amount of clear liquid just a little i think like 1 drop of spray net liquid can somebody help me pls im very tense now what this thing in my nipple? the lump is a disk shape and movable

|