Forum Name: Prostate Cancer

Question: Pain in the Butt..........

Slammers - Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:01 am

I am 46 years old and for the last several weeks have been experiencing a sensation that I am sitting on a golf ball. The feeling really only occurs when I am sitting.
I also have low back pain and an increase in the frequency of urination.
My urine also looks greenish/yellow.
Do I have prostate cancer???
 jeanniern - Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:48 am

You should definitely make an appointment tp have your prostate examined. Only your doctor could tell you if tt is malignancy. Don't wait.
 Dr. E Asis - Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:14 pm

User avatar Based from the symptoms that you are having right now and from your age, you are probably suffering from a condition called benign prostatic hyperplasia. Its a common condition among male in your age group. We cannot really tell if it is cancerous unless a biopsy of the prostate is done. You better consult your doctor so that he can do a digital rectal exam, a prostate ultrasound and probably request for blood work up such as serum PSA (prostate specific antigen).
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:43 am

User avatar Hi there,
I agree with Asis but would like to add that benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) usually appears in older individuals with a prevalence of 80% in men above the age of 80 years. That said, even cancers of the prostate can appear in men as young as 40 years old.

Symptoms of prostate disease are usually of the voiding and post-micturition type rather than the storage variety (eg, daytime frequency or nocturia). However, they can sometimes be the dominant symptoms in prostate disease.

I would think with your complaint and the pattern of pain (tenderness rather) that you probably have a thrombosed hemorroid. This classically leads to the sitting on a 'golf ball' sensation. In this case the frequency and the back pain would be unrelated.

Again as Dr. Asis suggested an examination is in order.

|