News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Prostate Cancer

Question: Pain in the Butt..........

Slammers - Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:01 am

I am 46 years old and for the last several weeks have been experiencing a sensation that I am sitting on a golf ball. The feeling really only occurs when I am sitting.
I also have low back pain and an increase in the frequency of urination.
My urine also looks greenish/yellow.
Do I have prostate cancer???
 jeanniern - Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:48 am

You should definitely make an appointment tp have your prostate examined. Only your doctor could tell you if tt is malignancy. Don't wait.
 Dr. E Asis - Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:14 pm

User avatar Based from the symptoms that you are having right now and from your age, you are probably suffering from a condition called benign prostatic hyperplasia. Its a common condition among male in your age group. We cannot really tell if it is cancerous unless a biopsy of the prostate is done. You better consult your doctor so that he can do a digital rectal exam, a prostate ultrasound and probably request for blood work up such as serum PSA (prostate specific antigen).
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:43 am

User avatar Hi there,
I agree with Asis but would like to add that benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) usually appears in older individuals with a prevalence of 80% in men above the age of 80 years. That said, even cancers of the prostate can appear in men as young as 40 years old.

Symptoms of prostate disease are usually of the voiding and post-micturition type rather than the storage variety (eg, daytime frequency or nocturia). However, they can sometimes be the dominant symptoms in prostate disease.

I would think with your complaint and the pattern of pain (tenderness rather) that you probably have a thrombosed hemorroid. This classically leads to the sitting on a 'golf ball' sensation. In this case the frequency and the back pain would be unrelated.

Again as Dr. Asis suggested an examination is in order.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here