Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen Lymph Node

MSUFanatic - Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:15 pm

A few years ago I noticed a swollen lymph node in my neck on my right side. I didn't think much of it because I was only 13 or so. I am now 17 and the thing is still there. It is pretty hard and not mobile. It seems to go up and down in size depending on times of year. I have allergies and in the Spring time it seems to swell up more than in the winter. I have also noticed that when I exercise the node usually goes down in size dramatically. I have no weight loss I have actually put on a lot of muscle weight since 7th grade to now going into my senior year of High School. I also don't get fatigued easily either and am in very good shape constantly staying active. So I'm curious if I should be worried about this or not? Thank you.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:48 am

User avatar Hi MSUFanatic,
Lymph nodes most commonly enlarge as a result of infection because they are the bodies filtering system for bacteria etc. They may not return to their pre-infectious state even after the infection subsides. I would be more concerned if the area would enlarge and not decrease in size despite treatment or if you had other existing symptoms. I would still however suggest that you have the area evaluated by your physician at your next physical exam to alleviate any concerns.

|