Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lump 1cm below ear.

Barn - Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:40 pm

Hi there,

I have a firm lump / nodule about one centimetre below the bottom of my left ear, near to the top of my jawbone. It's directly below the ear.

It's about one centimetre in length and perhaps half a centimetre wide. I've noticed it there for about one week. It's painless, although I can make the area tender by constantly fiddling with it. I had mumps last November which resulted in swelling in that region, but I recovered from that fully. I had infectious mononucleosis as a teenager, so I should be immune to both of these illnesses now.

Otherwise, I'm fairly healthy. I'm 21, have never smoked and rarely drink. I've suffered from urticaria since January 2005, which I control with either fexofenadine or high dose loratadine. I have no other symptoms. I rarely suffer from colds and flu and don't recall having an infection recently.

I guess I've just fallen into the trap of looking things up on the internet, which is dangerous as a layman. I work full-time so it's hard for me to see a doctor: do you think I have anything to worry about at this stage? Should I wait a while?

Thanks for any help: I really appreciate it.
 marymalcolm - Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:32 am

Hi Barn!

It sounds like even if there is nothing to worry about - you are already worried. From reading your post, it seems you have run the gamut of illnesses, and for that reason you may be hypersensitive to any new occurrences in your body.

This isn't a bad thing, but it can be exasperating to worry about what might be going on, and stress can be just as problematic as any other major illness.

It is for that reason that I would recommend you go ahead and try to see a physician. I realize it may be difficult with your work schedule, but it would be much worse to continue to speculate on what might be happening.

I wish you the best!
Mary
 Barn - Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:29 am

Thanks for your message, Mary. :)

I went to the doctor after I had the swelling for over two weeks. He noted that the tonsil on that side was rather red, so he put me on a course of antibiotics for a week. He told me to give it two weeks (one with antibiotics and a further one week) and then return if the swelling had not subsided.

I went back to the doctor today because the swelling had not gone down even after the antibiotics. He took another look at my throat and said "well, it's not red anymore, but it's about twice the size of the other tonsil". He says that the next step is to visit an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist.

Unfortunately I won't be able to get an appointment for a couple more weeks as I shall be moving back to my university city during this time. I'll need to get a referral from a doctor up there.

This leaves me time to worry. :( A lymph node swelling that doesn't respond to antibiotics coupled with unilateral tonsillar swelling can't be good, right?
 marymalcolm - Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:38 pm

Hey Barn!

I'm glad to hear you are about to head back to Uni...I hope I understood that right. *Grin*
Sorry to hear that the swelling has not gone down either, but equally glad you went ahead to the doctor.
Well, from what I've understood, sometimes it can take quite a while for the swollen area to return to normal size. It is not necessarily a bad thing that it is still swollen. I would recommend going ahead and trying to get a referral to the ENT, but try not to worry too much. In fact, it might be something fun to use at parties, right?? *grin* That the red has gone down is a very good thing, so try not to worry too too much. I hope everything turns out alright, and please keep me posted!

Best Wishes,
Mary
 Barn - Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:35 pm

Hi Mary

Thanks SO much for taking the time out to write to me. Your kindness is appreciated more than you know. I will of course keep you posted. :)

|