Forum Name: Chemotherapy

Question: Chemotherapy and infantil deseases

Anonymous - Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:40 am

If a personn is under chimiotherapy, is it possible that she catches a infantil desease she already had?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:37 pm

User avatar Dear Alan,
Please be more specific. What is the name of the disease you want to ask about?
 Dr. Jeffrey Gordon - Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:22 pm

Alan,

Are you asking about chicken pox? Anyone who has had chicken pox as a child harbors the virus (varicells zoster virus or VZV, for short) and later in life can get a reactivation of the virus. This is what causes shingles. Chemotherapy can bring about a shingles attack if it affects the immune system. This is not uncommon and sometimes patients are offered drugs to minimize their risks of getting shingles. If you are concerned about a different childhood infection, then post it here and we will try to answer your question. Thanks for posting a question!
 Anonymous - Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:00 pm

Actually, I'd like to know if a person who has a breast cancer and who is under chimiotherapy can develop again an infantil disease(in general) she already had. If it's possible, what is the mecanism in cause (antibody, leucocytes)? Thanks for the answers!
 Dr. Jeffrey Gordon - Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:50 pm

Alan,

I am not certain what you mean by "infantile disease". If you are thinking about infections, then various infections that affect children can also affect adults, especially if chemotherapy were to weaken an adult's immune system. If you are thinking about cancers that affect children, then in general terms, I would say no. Chemotherapy otherwise doesn't cause any specific disorders to arise that affect only children and not adults.
 Anonymous - Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:00 pm

No, by infantile diseases I mean diseases like mumps, chicken pox...Actually, I think you've already answered a part of my question in a ancient mail. But what are the mecanisms in cause?
 Anonymous - Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:20 am

JGordonMD wrote:Alan,

|