Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lump Under the Armpit

jglair - Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:58 pm

Hey! I have a rather strange thing happening. About 3 weeks ago I got a swollen bump in my right side armpit. It steadily increased in size and was about the size of a golf ball a week later. It hurt a little bit when pushed on. I wasn't too worried about it, thinking that it was probably just a swollen lymph node, but i have had several new symptoms of something come. The major one is a rash that is all over my entire body except my head. It is just under the surface of the skin and is a lite reddish/purplish color. It does not itch, burn, or peel, and is not raised; it feels just like my normal skin does. The heaviest concentrations of this rash are on my stomach. I also have had swollen hands and feet when i wake up in the morning and I have felt pressure behind my eyes which I believe made my blood vessels burst in my eyes. It feels like I have fluid in my right ear. When the first lump got under my armpit, I thought that it might have been cat scratch fever. The only thing is, is that I have already gone to my family doctor twice over this and he doesn't believe it is cat scratch (my white blood cell counts are normal). I had blood tests sent off to be analyzed but the results for them haven't come back yet. I do know that they ran an infection detector (sedrate) on me and it was in the normal range (0-15). So I don't have an infection. I overall feel in normal shape and health. I'm 18, weigh 145 lbs., and am 6 feet tall. I have always been in good health but whatever I have right now has puzzled my doctor and he has been in contact with doctors in Riley Hospital in Indianapolis, IN and they are a little stumped as well. I might also add that I haven't had a fever, but my temperature has been a bit lower than normal; about a 95-97 range. The swollen gland or whatever it is under my armpit has gone down by size a bit and is now about the size of a marble and doesn't hurt anymore. If anybody has ANY possibility or lead as to what this could be, I would greatly like to hear it. It has been almost a month now since I first noticed the initial swelling in my armpit. Thanks!
jglair
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:36 am

User avatar Dear jglair,
I am happy to hear that your blood counts are normal and from what I understand that your lump is slowly resovling? If that is the case then it could still be an atypical infection. Meaning, that there need'nt be fever and the sedimentation rate need'nt be elevated. What tests were ordered by your doctor?

Check this page out for a list of causes for lymph node enlargement:

Lymph node enlargement

|