Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Something strange happening to my breast

veryfrightened - Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:23 pm

I guess I should start by telling you that I do not have implants. About a week ago I noticed something that seemed to pop up literally during my day, maybe I just never noticed it before. At the end of my day I was getting changed and I took off my bra. When I did, I saw a noticeable deformation of my left breast. I touched it and it was (is) like a long hard line, almost like a hardened blood vessel or something. One small portion of my nipple is hardened and if I squeeze the breast, the tissue collapses and you can actually see the line of the hard tissue, It literally looks like a river on a map, except the hardened, whatever it is, doesn't pop up on to the top of the skin, it collapses, like a sunken line going across my left breast. I'm terrified, I don't have insurance and I don't know what to do....I'm really freaking out. What does this sound like to you? Because it came up so suddenly, I'm thinking it's not cancer, but who the hell knows.....help? Anyone? :?:
 Dr. Jeffrey Gordon - Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:44 pm

I understand your concern and anxiety over finding an unexplained area of hardeing in one of your breasts. This finding does not imply a cancer. Nevertheless, it is a finding that should be evaluated by a physician. There are programs in many areas that provide free mammograms to women who cannot afford the test. I would recommend you contact yourlocal hospital about such a program. In addition, you should see aphysician for a formal breast examination. Again, there may be a program in your area to have such an evaluation done for free. Independent of the insurance issue, I would recommend that you sekk such an evaluation. It is always best to have a medical evaluation done sooner rather than later in case something of concern is found. My best to you.

Jeff Gordon, M.D.
 adolfo_fa - Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:27 am

Your description of symptoms sounds like something named Mondor's disease. This is an inflamation of the venous vessels on the skin of the body, most frequently breast skin.
Is most frequently related to infection or trauma, sometimes unknown trauma (like a shot on the breast when you are sleeping), and in few cases is related to cancer. The most common reasons are benign.
Don't worry extremely, but will be useful to look for a doctor to confirm this diagnosis.
Regards,

Adolfo Fuentes, MD

|