Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen lymph nodes

crystalp - Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:57 am

At the beginning of November I went to the doctor due to sever fatigue. He found a large lymph node on the back of my neck and took blood. His inital guess was mono but bloodwork came back negative. My white count was slightly elevated and it showed I was slightly anemic. I was out of work for 3 weeks due to fatigue. The lymph node on the back of my neck has not gone down at all since and now there are more enlarged nodes in my neck (two on each side and two under my chin). I've taken Penicillian for 2 weeks and then erythromycin for 2 weeks (whcih I just finished) and the nodes have not responded. It's been about 9 weeks now.

Yesterday I noticed that the nodes in my groin are now enlarged and also have something that feels like more nodes on the back of both of my knees (I'm not even sure if there ARE nodes in that area...). None of these nodes are painful. I've had some soreness in my knees randomly and I can hear my pulse in my right ear almost all the time lately. I also notice that my heart rate seems to speed up sometimes, mostly when I'm laying down, but doesn't usually go over 100. My normal resting heart rate is about 70 and when it's racing it will be in the high 90's - 105. I have no signs of infection, but do have a low-grade temp sometimes (like 99.9). Also, an EKG he did on my first appointment showed abnormalities (he didn't elaborate and I didn't ask), but he said it was nothing to worry about.

Tonight my upper abodomen feels really full and I'm starting to worry. I've eaten almost nothing today (apetite isn't too hot) but feel like I'm stuffed. I have an appointment with my doctor on Friday. Should I try to see him sooner? What kinds of questions should I ask? Up until now he hasn't seem too concerned about all of this although he has mentioned taking a biopsy if they don't go down.

Any response will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
 Dr. Jeffrey Gordon - Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:40 pm

Crystalp,

Thanks for your post on The Doctor's Lounge. If the swollen lymph nodes do not go away, then I would talk with your doctor about a further evaluation, such as a biopsy of one of the lymph nodes, lab tests for any possible infection problems, and perhaps CAT scan imaging of the chest and abdomen to look for any enlarged lymph nodes that cannot be seen otherwise.

My best to you.

|