Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Worried about neck lump

tj - Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:59 am

About 3 weeks ago i noticed a lump in the side of my neck.It is about 2 cm long and 3 cm wide.It is hard lump that is not sore or does not bother me but it is visible and i have had a few people ask what it is.
I have not had a cold or a flu, but i often get severe headaches and I am tiered all the time.I am worried about this and would be so very gratefull if somebody could help me out.
 Dr. A. De la Guerra - Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:05 pm

User avatar Hi tj, lateral neck lumps are usually due to lymph node enlargement. Lymph nodes can become swollen from infection, inflammatory conditions, abscess, or cancer. Other causes of enlarged lymph nodes are rare. By far, the most common cause of swollen lymph nodes is infection.
When swelling appears suddenly and is painful, it is usually caused by injury or an infection. Enlargement that comes on gradually and painlessly may result from cancer or a tumor; soreness in lymph glands usually disappears in a couple of days without treatment, but the nodes may not return to normal size for several weeks after the infection has cleared.
You have to call a doctor if the lump don’t get smaller after several weeks or continue to get larger, or if it feels hard, irregular, or fixed in place.
I suggest you to get a doctor to perform a physical examination and maybe a biopsy and culture.

|