Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: pain/numbness in chest and back

Allew64 - Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:17 pm

I guess the best place to start is the beginning. Well I'm 41 yrs. old and smoked for 26 yrs. 1-2 packs a day. I went to the ddr. about a month ago because of something I coughed up it was a very thick looking substance he said it could be phlegm, but never really looked at it. He said I had acute bronchitis but from what I've read on the internet it wasn't that because I wasn't doing any coughing and didn't have fever etc.He did chest x-rays and said everything was normal. I quit smoking then which has been a little over a month ago and that's when all my problems began. I first had a pain in my chest right below my rib on left side of chest about 2-3 inches from my breast bone, then it was followed by pain in my back from shoulder blade to bottom of my rib cage then that was followed by pain and numbness it's not all the time, and it's usually a dull pain. Now I've started having numbness on right side of chest and back. I have also recently been having a problem of burning when I urinate and having kidney pain. I gave myself an at home uti test and it showed no infection. I have also had numbness occasionally in my throat area between my adams appl and where your neck is attached to your body. If there's anyone here thast can help me it would be very greatly appreciated. I don't know that nicorette gum would have anything to do with the numbness in my throat or not but I've been using it since I quit smoking. If there's anything else I can help with please let me know. Thanks for your help!!
 Dr. A. De la Guerra - Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:58 pm

User avatar Hi Allew64, first Congratulations for quitting; along with its needed effects, nicotine gum may cause some unwanted effects. Read this article.
Many of the symptoms you describe are related to nicotine systemic effects, like muscular pain and numbness. Also local effects can be seen, like hoarseness, abdominal or stomach pain.
I suggest you should check with your doctor to see if any of the symptoms you are having needs special attention. Other side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine.

Hope you find this helpful
 Allew64 - Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:04 pm

Since I last posted here I have quit using nicorette gum and still have the symptoms I explained earlier. The numbness in my throat has spread upward to my right ear it's not all the time. I'm still having burning when I urinate. I've went back to the dr. I originally went to which was an intern and I talked him into me getting a thorax ct scan with contrast and it came up normal so I was told. He gave me a uti exam and it came up negative. I also went to emergency room at local hospital 2 wks. later and they took chest x-rays, spinal x-rays, did blood test which showed up nothing abnormal, and gave me a uti test and it came up negative. I'm suppose to go see a pulminologist/md. to get a physical ASAP, I"m also now having numbness(tingling) all the way across my back across my shoulder blades. Could someone please help me here this is about to drive me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!. Thanks!!

|