Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: swollen submandibular lynmph nodes

niceboy_017 - Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:12 am

hi.. :? im worried with the lymph nodes(1 in the left & 1 the right) under my mandible..

the one in the left is slightly bigger. the growth is not yet noticeable. it was swollen for

3 months (since june). i \ve already consulted 2 ENTs. the first one

gave me bactrim and mouth wash but it didnt help. the second one said it was just an

allergy and gave me dexamethazone tablet but it also did not help. im only 20 years old

and he said that its very rare for a 20 yr old have neck cancer specially to a none

smoker. i also had my xray but the radiologists told me it was normal. i also had my cbc

andalmost all of them were

normal except for my hemoglobin level whisc is slighty lower than normal.

i just noiticed that these lymph nodes eventually shrinks and then grows again..

they are painless and movable.. also i have this red spots at my pharynx (my second

ENT said it was just an allergy, granular phraryngitis)

i also felt that there is a colletoin of sputum in my right ear but i can take it out and there

is no earache. i noticed one of my tonsils is swollen and the other is not..

what could this be?!

and also i noticed that these nodes swells when i drink vit c.

im puzzled.. confused.. damn it..

i do not smoke.. and drinks only occasionally..

rogtht now i am also experiencing back pain on both sides.

i almost forgot(i don't know if i sweat at night) but recently when i woke up i feel my

clothes are wet with sweat..

ive read some of the articles in your site..

im really confused..

i do not know if this is lymphoma or anything else..

i hope you would hit me with some advice.. thanx

:(

im really confused..

thanx
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:42 am

User avatar Hi niceboy_017,
Lymph nodes commonly enlarge do to infection from bacteria or virus states and may not return to their pre-infectious size after an infection subsides. Lymph nodes that continue to enlarge despite treatment are more disconcerting. Infections of the mouth/throat may cause these nodes to enlarge. Enlargement of these nodes may also be associated with systemic disorders, for example, lymphoma, autoimmune disorders, HIV, etc. Other presenting symptoms are usually apparent. If you are experiencing drenching night sweats, my suggestion for you is inquire with your physician about a CT scan. My second suggestion would be, if you have been sexually active, involved in drug use, etc., that you also inquire about a HIV test.

|